James Stubblefield RIP

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I just read on another board that saxophonist John Stubblefield died yesterday, after a long illness.
  2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Man, I was afraid this would happen.............................

I had a short chat with him once at fez.....what a wonderful guy and player!!!!!
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    That's horrible. I last saw him at the Fez with Mingus Big Band around 5+ years ago and he was looking good. I was literally moving my legs out of his way in my seat through the night since they packed that place so tight.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    From a buddy of my buddy, Dan Greenblatt

Since the 3rd April 2004, John Stubblefield has been hospitalized with prostate cancer.He spent his last days at at Calvary Hospital in the Bronx. John was so strong,I thought for a second he was going to beat this. Sadly,at five minutes before seven on the evening of the fourth July 2005, after enduring great suffering John Stubblefield passed.

John worked on his music constantly. In October 2004, he went to the recording studio where Sue Mingus has assembled the Mingus Big Band to record "Song With Orange", "Orange Was The Color Of Her Dress, Then Blue Silk", and "Pedal Point Blues", all arranged by John. During this six-hour session, John conducted the band. The recording was released on 7th June 2005.

I don't know what else to say other than...he was a great friend and surely a huge asset to the community of music worldwide. I spent many hours with John thru the years. Talking about music and most of all being inspired by his open mind. He was a fan of everything. From Marcel Mule to Waren Marsh to John Gilmore & Dolphy.
    From King Curtis and Sil Austin,George Coleman and Booker Ervin. I never met a player with bigger ears and...such heart. He spoke highly of guys he played with like David Liebman with Miles or Chris Potter with the Mingus band.It was always inspiring.

Trane to Sonny to Wardell- to Stitt.John knew records and the tunes and the parts of their solos like a professor.

Ever hear his tune- " Midnight In Memphis" ...that Hank Crawford recorded? Or his playing on those great Kenny Barron Cds? The guy was nothing short of amazing.

The last time I saw Stubbs, where he was ok before all this, was in 2002 in the lobby of the " Golden Tulip Hotel" in Den Hague. We spent some time talking about the festival and I just watched with joy as my friend signed autographs. Everyone he signed something for..he addressed by their
    name & shook their hand and thanked. I was so glad to see him treated this way, in Holland.
    He WAS a people person.

The Christmas after that..John sent me an amazing book on Miles Davis. I called to thank him and he mentioned something about a fever and feeling kinda beat. We both figured it was the road bearing down on him. Sad to say most musicians DO NOT have health insurance and such to even get the smallest things checked. I wish someday- this would change.In any case, next thing I know- he's down with this cancer. Fighting it and trying to live past it.

This music lost a huge cornerstone of power and knowledge and love with Johns passing. What a great friend he was and someone who really knew the music from every part. I'm going to really really miss him.

Check out his tune " You Know My Eyes".Vincent Herring recorded it. It's such a classy melody. Totally John Stubblefield, a classy human being.

More on John here;
    Some interesting aspects of his thoughts.

May he NEVER be forgotten.
    RIP Bro' - Tim Price
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    PS - could DURRL or somebody fix my Bad in the title? I meant to type John, but then I was thinking about James Spaulding at the same time and kaint fix it.