Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamming combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Ok I know many many threads about practice amps and combo's have been made lately and I have read them ,but I am looking for a more direct approach.

This Christmas my glorious mother who won't get me a new bass , will get me a new amp instead. My limit is $500 and I don't have to many ideas on my mind.

What I play: Classic/All rock, blues, some jazz, and funk. I'm looking for something not TOO heavy, under 60lb. I can always get a trolly when the weight gets over 40lb :) I'm looking to go with 100+ watts and something that can cut through with a drummer (but only jamming, not at too loud albums. My friends aren't assholes and don't turn their amp up all the way)

Anyway thanks for hearing my blabin'. If you have any suggestions of what amps for me to try out so I don't waste countless hours in GC etc please reply.

Thank you

2. The only thing I can really say of any value is, stay away from Peavey if you want light equipement.

3. Yes, I know. I'm trying to find out someplace that has a Ashdown Blue 12 I can try out. Never see them at GC.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    under $500 will get you an Eden Nemesis 2x10 or 1x15 combo used. Weight is maybe a bit more than 60 but these are not very heavy. 200 watts and a few features that are really useful for you - parametric mid, speaker off and a very quiet Direct Out for home recording and practice.

I just sold mine in 9.9 out of 10 condition for just under $500 and that seems to be the going rate for a good one.

That is a reasonably gig worthy setup that should excede your practice / jamming amp expectations.

5. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I know you said combo, but for the money, versatility and the transportability think about a nice used head like a GK 400 or 800 and a new Avatar 210. You could add to this in the future, it would rock now, and it would be about 60lbs.

6. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I can personally recommend the Nemesis. I have owned my 210p for 2 years and it works for all situations. Hard to find a dealer lately for some reason. Bass Central carries the Nemesis line...

7. What I would like to do but I have to see if I have the money in my bank account is get a GK 1000RBII for $625 and then a GS12 :) Then eventually another GS 12. Maybe since my birthday is on the 31st I should be able to gather enough money ...

8. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    The Yorkville XS400 weighs in a little over your budget, but only in actual weight, not pricewise, it's a great amp for the money.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

That's what I'd recommend! I have an Electric Blue 15 - the original 130 watt version.

I got a good deal, as the 150 watt version were just hitting the shops.

I noticed on my recent visit to my local store, that Ashdown have released the Electric Blue combos with 180 watts!

My amp weighs about 19kgs (about 40lbs) and as far as I know the power increases haven't caused an increase in weight!

10. Yep the Electric Blue 12 is about 36 pounds I think at 180 watts. I'm heading to GC today to return something, MAYBE they will have it for me to test out (I doubt it)