Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jari kainulainen

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    [​IMG]
    i think hes an awsome bassist, far to underrated.. he can atleast keep speed with muyung from Dream theatre, if not faster...
    he doesnt write much songs, but im pretty shure he makes his own bass lines, he have an amazing speed(Black Diamond) and he can groove and add cool fills(listen through all of "Fantasia", it realy shows pretty much of his abilitys..)
    and he plays with fingers all the time.. realy cool to see live.. i think he uses 3 fingers though, but listen to the song "destiny" in the middle of it he plays the exact same as the guitar, wich makes it sound like a little bass solo thingy.. Jari should have been more known in the metal bass society, hes not like any of the other Power Metal Bassists(wich, most are basically fast pop punk bassists...)

2. PhunkyElephant

PhunkyElephant

Oct 9, 2004
    +1

He is one of the best metal bassists around and I like his fingers-only approach very much, as his sound is heavier than many pick-players'. Even though I don't like Stratovarius - the band he plays in - too much, I still hate the fact how his playing kind of gets lost in the mix, not live but on the albums. Stratovarius on the other hand is a very controversial band, and in such circumstances Kainulainen does a wonderful job. It seems that the guitarist Timo Tolkki and the keyboardist Jens Johansson have some kind of ego issues, since their solos seem to be the most important part of the music.

And yeah, what you said about Myung... Kainulainen's playing is just as good as Myung's, maybe even better. Myung is just a more known figure...:bassist: