1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jason Lollar Thunderbird Pickups

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Dan Bozek, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    Justin: (or anyone else) Have you tried/heard the Jason Lollar Thunderbird pickups? I know your main T-birds have pickups that are now offered by Mike Lull, but I’ve heard they’re a tad brighter than the Japanese version and/or old Gibsons… And “bright” isn’t usually a word that comes to mind when I think “Gibson Thunderbird.”

2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I've played a Fano bass that has Lollar Thunderbird pickups and that bass had a nice even response with a detailed midrange. The low mids were definitely still present but it wasn't "muddy", if that makes sense. This is not only a great representation of the tone, but I'm positive that this is the exact bass I played:

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    My T-Bird pickups sound nothing like the Lull pickups, which I found far too bright and modern. I have three T-birds, two of which have new old stock '70's Gibson pickups, and one which has Japanese Orville pickups. May more on the burly, growly, dark side of town. More like this Fano bass with the Lollars. Perhaps a bit beefier than that, but more in that family.

4. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    Thanks guys. Great stuff... I'm so in love with playing my Franken-bird again. I think I might check out the Lollars when I have some money to play.