1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jason Newsted Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harnung, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Harnung

Harnung

Feb 28, 2012
    Hey, i was wondering if anyone knew which bass guitar Jason Newsted played during the concert at Den Bosch (Holland) in 1992. Because i think that the bass he's playing has a great bass sound and i would really like to have that bass.
    So please help me.

2. Jason has been using Sadowsky basses, P/J pickup configurations usually, for a LONG time.

That's my guess, so save your pennies cause they aren't cheap

3. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Cant speak for that gig in 1992, but He has played Sadowskys for quite a while.

4. Jibudo

Jibudo

Mar 13, 2010
    Porto, Portugal

By this video and others on youtube, he is playing his Alembics, don't know the models though.

EDIT: Alembic Spoiler on that video but he also used a 5 string europa, i think

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    I don't think he moved to Sadowsky until the late 90's.

6. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Do want! :help:

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I think they're starting at about 7 grand (US) these days.

For the low end basses that is.

8. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I thought they had discontinued that model. :confused:

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I believe Jason was still playing Alembics in 92 on the Black Album tour. The Sadowsky's didin't arrive till 96 right around the time they were finishing up working on the Load album.

10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I watched Metallica live in Milan 17th November 1992 on 1992/1993 "Nowhere else to Roam" world tour (my band took the name off it: NOWHERE We started a Metallica tribute band back in the day) it was the diamond shaped "snakepit stage" tour if you can remember.
    From 1989/1990 "Damaged Justice" tour on, the band embarked on endorsing relationships: James and Kirk with ESP, Jason with Alembic. James and Kirk stay ESP, Jason sticked to Alembic allthru summer 1993 break then eventually appeared on summer 1994 tour (Lollapalooza/Woodstock) and 1995 "escape from the studio" (Donington's Park Monsters of Rock and Arctic Circle Warming) with an array of Spectors.
    From 1996's Load up until 2000's I Disappear off Mission: Impossible II he used 4 Sadowsky 4ers and 4 Sadowsky 5ers, all maple fingerboards, with mixed up configuration: P/J (4 string) and J/J (5 string) and Roger presented him a 9th Sadowsky, with rosewood fingerboard, that never hit the road.

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    And he briefly played Spectors after the Alembics. I saw Metallica in 92 and he had the Alembics, then I saw them again in 94 or 95 and he had Spectors. From my seat, I couldn't be sure what it was (I just knew it wasn't his usual Alembic), but i was fortunate enough to meet him using aftershow passes and he confirmed that he had been playing Spectors that night. I think by the time Load came out, he had moved to yet something else (maybe that's when he started with the Sadowsky basses).

12. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I thought he was playing ESP Horizons around the time as well. I remember this because I had one and recall recognizing it on some of their concert videos from the early 90's.

Awesome basses back then.

13. And weird enough, while he had Alembic's available he recorded most of the Black album with a Spector NS-2 (the best bass sound ever recorded in my opinion...)
    For years I craved for an Alembic not knowing that he used a Spector lol. Alembic's look absolutely fantastic (until someone picks them up and hangs it on their shoulders)

14. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    Alembic will resurrect any body style of theirs you would like, and from there the sky is the limit!

15. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    yup.
    he used alembics/wals on the justice tours. once the black album came out he was using alembics exclusively. around 94-95 he was using his signature spectors (which was a variation of the sn-5 model at the time. seen here http://www.spectorbass.com/about/spector_years_3.html). and from the '96-'97 interview in bass player, you're right on about the sadowskys.

16. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Some of the Jason Newsted Alembics:

Elan 5:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same Bass upgraded to Series II:

[​IMG]

Europa 5, Series II:

[​IMG]

Europa 6, Series II:

[​IMG]

Europa 10, Series II:

[​IMG]

Persuader JJ:

[​IMG]
    (I was told he got this bass from Hetfield)

Same bas, converted to Series II:

[​IMG]

Spoiler 4, Series II:

[​IMG]

Some older pics with a Spoiler Exploiter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onstage:
    He used the Alembics between '88 and '94.
    Before that he used ESP, BC Rich and Wal (and some others I guess)
    In '94 he used Spectors, his signature model. From '95 till now I've only seen him with Sadowsky.

17. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Here's one from 2010:

[​IMG]
    :bassist:

18. Dat is jouw eigen bas :D

19. Chrishi87

Chrishi87

Aug 17, 2010
    Bremen

1999 Metallica S&M: Minus Human. Blue Sadowsky JJ Matching Headstock with Rosewood Fretboard :D

20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Throw enough money at them and they'll pretty much build what you want.