1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jay Turser basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ironrat, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Are they good?
    Any opinions wanted.

2. Some like em, some don't. They are decent. I have played an imitation P bass. It had an ok feel. The electronics were ok, and the tone was comperable to the squire P I currently own. Other people have had really bad luck though. Wherever you get it, make sure there is a return policy.

3. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I have 2, am pleased with both.

4. squik

squik

Oct 5, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I had a Jay Turser guitar and the thing fell apart on me.....literally

5. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    I have a couple, defaulted to me by a friend. They work. I use them as backups for my Fenders, and have even used the Violin knock off for recording. Firstline? full dress? maybe not but good solid daily drivers.

6. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I have more experience with their guitars. I've played a few strat and tele clones in some shops and was surprised at the quality for price.

I have a couple of friends who have Turser guitrars--one is an SG clone and one is a 335 clone--and they love them and gig them. I have played theirs as well and I think they are pretty killer.

I've only played ONE Turser bass, and it's one of two basses I own. It's this one:

JTB2.

Model is JTB-401. If you poke around the internet you will find a lot of discussion about this particular model. As far as sound, playability, action, intonation and looks, it's astounding. The hardware is pretty cheap...tuners, nut and bridge are fully functional, but just seem chintzy.

Other than that, it's an incredible bass. If you have any more questions about that specific model, I can answer them, but overall I think Tursers are good budget instruments.

7. I have the Music Man Style
    I got it for 100 Bucks De Fretted Prior to me getting it
    the bass ok The Pots and the Pickup's are cheap it's an ok back up or in my case to do that 1 fretless song
    it's just enough to get by Not a main bass though

8. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Thanks for the info!
    I will buy the P Bass clone for $100....including the practice amp!

9. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Only experience I have is a LP GOTH copy I love it cant sell it! Hardware is good, set neck is great all mahogany carved top MOP inlays one inlay need filler but oh well for $75.00 used with duncan invaders in it who cares. Sounds/plays great!

GOTH.

group4-1.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think you'll be very happy with it. My JPT-401 is a very good bass considering the price I paid for it. I have gigged it quite a bit, and had many guitar players come up after a gig and comment that they also had Jay Turser instruments and loved them. I have not read much negative about them and would trust the brand in the future.

11. I own one of their Jazz bass copies and its great. I use it for rehearsal at my band leaders house (and I leave it there). Bought it from my repairman for $125 bucks. It's strung with flatwounds and when I pair it with my Sadowsky Outboard preamp it sounds killer!

C

12. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    try it if you like it and its priced reasonable then buy it

13. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    I've had 3 tursers over the years, and still retain one.

- P copy with matching headstock. Great p-bass, changed the PU & it was fantastic. Sold it to make space, wasn't using it, had lots of P-like things around. Still miss it though.

- JTB-401 (54 SCPB copy) : Fantastic bass for the money. See above comment on too many p-like creatures in the collection. Sold it.

- Beatle bass : Still have this. Love it. Liked it much better than the Hofner Icon, which I sold.

So, my experiences have been generally positive. I find them similar to SX in that regard - decent stuff for very little $.

Good luck w/yours!

GT

14. I like them simply because all of the basses have JTB in the model name...my initials. :D