1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Dimensions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by snetzz, Apr 30, 2010.

1. snetzz

snetzz

Apr 30, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hey, I'm in the process of building a template for a fender jazz bass and I've run into some issues.

I got a set set of plans from mimf and the width of the nut is 1-3/4", the pocket is 4-3/16" long, 2-1/2" wide, and 11-16" deep.

Also, the length from the bridge screws -> end of neck pocket is 15-1/4". While the length of the neck from heel to nut is 23-57/64 if that helps any.

Isn't 1-3/4" a bit chunky for the width of the neck? I was thinking something around the lines of 1-1/2" but with these plans, wouldn't I have to modify the neck pocket and bring it down to less then 2-1/2"? Also, every other replacement neck or body for a jazz bass has a neck pocket slot that's less then 4" long and 5/8" deep.

Are these plans safe to use? I'm building the neck, but depending on the time I might get a prefabbed body from Warmoth or Allparts. So if the dimensions aren't up to par, then I'm gonna be in a bind.

The main question is: Can I use these plans? If so, can I take down the nut to 1-1/2" and still use the 2-1/2" (W) for the neck pocket? Also, the length of the neck pocket looks iffy.

These plans are completely screwing with my head, so if someone can help that would be awesome!

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Welcome to talkbass. People will more likely respond if they have an idea of who they are talking to so mabye fill in some of your profile. :). Neck pocket depth depends on your bridge height. Bridge position depends on bridge being used. Ive used the plans you are talking about but used them as a guideline only. Hope that helps a little.

3. snetzz

snetzz

Apr 30, 2010
    Vancouver
    Thanks!

Here's just a pic of a guitar I build 2 years ago for some background:

[​IMG]

So this year I'm trying something new and I'm trying to make a replica of a fender j bass. Basically a standard j bass:

[​IMG]

It won't be fret-less, and I'm trying to make it with an alder or ash body. Maybe one tone, but I'd prefer a transparent creme, or burst. The neck would be maple with a pau ferro fretboard.

So if someone could help me out and give me some guidance with dimensions/building methods for a standard j bass that would be great, and keep in mind that I have the mimf plans as a guide.

Also, if you know of some good pickups/machine heads/strings/etc. and where to get them then that would be awesome.

4. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Those drawings are good to outline the body shape but leave extra wood around the neck pocket until you have the actual neck in hand. Don't drill or route any thing on the body until the neck is set. Then you can line up your bridge and pickup routes.

5. snetzz

snetzz

Apr 30, 2010
    Vancouver
    Right now the template is cut out to the one on the drawing. Do you think it's ok to take the nut down to 1-1/2"?

Also, can I use a standard hot-rod hex nut truss rod for the neck, and do I need to add any reinforcing rods?

6. clintfraser

clintfraser

Mar 23, 2010
    Oakville ON
    Hi, just currently cutting my body out... I could maybe give you a .dwg of a jazz bass.

:bag:

7. snetzz

snetzz

Apr 30, 2010
    Vancouver
    That would be awesome, the more material I can relate to the better.