1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass: It's that versatile.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, May 12, 2006.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

I went down to a fender dealer in town, and tried out a MIA jazz bass. All I can say is WOW! this thing went from burpy jaco-ish sound (all bridge) to some wicked punk rock growlish tone (full on) to some dubby p-bass-ish sound (full neck, 1/2 tone)!!! Has anyone else found jazz basses to be that growly? I cant believe that sound. I know fenders can tend to be hit or miss quality wise, but do they tend to be consistent sound wise?

2. Mustafa

Mustafa

May 4, 2006
    A Jazz is a Jazz is a Jazz. We all have that day when we discovered the Fender Jazz bass.

To answer your question: what gives a Jazz bass its signature sound is mainly the location of the pickups - so yes, any bass with pickups approximate in those locations will sound like a Jazz. Some will argue that those pickups need to be single-coil, but humbuckers or noise-cancelling pickups also retain the Jazz voice when placed in the right locations.

The woods, in my opinion, plays a lesser role in the sound.

What is also so inviting about the Jazz is the body and neck dimensions, which are very comfortable, which is why so many players love them.

3. Jazz Basses are aces! I, like you, just recently discovered and fell in love with the good old MIA Jazz (V) - Can't image ever being without one in the future!

--tz

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada

I completely agree with you. I guess a bass is the same bass, whether it has a rosewood board or a maple board. Its jsut like that one post I was reading a couple days ago, about how the wood of the bass is probably only about 6% of the actual perceived soudn of the bass or something diminutive like that. Well I think I better get my hands on a good jazz then:p.

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    everyone need at least 1 jazz bass

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Agreed. I bought my MIM Jazz because I needed another bass for a gig when my Ibanez was getting the neck replaced. I was lucky enough to find gem. I have become a Jazz Bass convert and thats all I play now. My next purchace will be a MIA Jazz V.

7. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    congrats on the buy. I strongly disagree about the board issue though.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Personally my favorite variety of bass is a Jazz bass with a Precision neck. It's got the tone I love from a Jazz and the feel I love from a P.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Jazz basses are wonderful things!!

Rob

newfamily.

10. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    I have a '99 MIA passive Jazz....it's hard to describe how good it feels an plays.......ain't it!

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jazz basses have a tone that is untouchable by means of any other instrument.

12. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I dissent. For me, I've owned 2 American jazz bases and after the second I realized the sound isn't for me. I didn't find them very versatile. I find I prefer the Musicman sound. They could be described as equally non-versatile, but to me, it's the sound I like.

I did play a friend's '62 Jazz that was cool and fun and had some bite, but I'm not looking to drop $10k on a bass like he is.

I might give them another chance someday, but since those 2 I've acquired 2 more Musicmen and couldn't be happier.

To each his own.

13. i have been increasingly interested in the G&L JB-2. it's got the jazz pickups and sound, and a rounder body for those (like me) who don't prefer the offset waist body.

robb.

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    I have a 78 jazz which sounds and play great. As you say it can go from jaco-ish to punk-ish.

+1 to Jazz Basses

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I can attest that the pickup position is key to the Jazz sound. My Peavey Foundation has two single coils that don't outwardly look like J pups, but they are in the jazz position, and my bass really gets a good jazz sound. Between it and my Stingray, I have a nice set of sounds at my fingertips.:bassist:

16. I absolutely love Jazz basses, although I just picked up a 70s P since I'm loving that fatness. I feel really bad selling my J, and this thread doesn't help either! I still have another J to keep me company, and I don't think I'll ever be totally J-less.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to add that there is a setting on the HH Stingray that comes pretty close, but is not quite like a jazz with both pups on full. The positon second closest to the bridge activates the back coil on the bridge pup and the front coil on the neck pup. The space between the "pickups" on this setting is wider than a jazz, but it gets close to the same feel. The nice thing is that it sounds nothing like a traditional Stingray. It's a nice setting for those who accuse Stingrays of being "one trick ponies." I was using that setting while practicing with some Me'Shell off her Plantation Lullabies CD. My SR5 HH really fit right in on that setting.

18. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I have four Fender JBass's various models and they can get a lot of sounds. Then lots of aftermarket parts to make them do a whole lot more. I would suggest checking out the Fender Marcus Miller 4, IMO its the most bang for the buck for Fender JBasses. The neck on the Marcus is like butter, and they cost less than the MIA JBass.

19. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I've been spending most of my time playing DB lately, so my Jazz has been largely unloved. Earlier today, I plugged it in and, like always, I'm surprised at how awesome it sounds... even after owning it for 5 years. Even when I went through periods where I thought I wanted something different, all I'd have to do it plug it in.

I kind of wish I weren't a "fanboy," but it may be happening against my will...

20. Three of the sexiest things on earth:

Fender '75 Jazz (Natural Ash with BLACK PG and block inlays)
    Fender '75 Jazz (Natural Ash with WHITE PG and block inlays)
    Fender '62 Jazz (Sunburst with Toutise shell PG)

And the fact that they sound amazing dosen't hurt either:p