1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stephan fimmers, Sep 4, 2008.

1. stephan fimmers

stephan fimmers

Sep 3, 2008
    :help: does any1 know here i can buy a "good" 5 stringer jazz bass pick up set :help:

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Delano JC 5 HE - I have a thread on it a week or two back.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Pete Biltoft at www.vintagevibeguitars.com

The stock design is a little brite IMO. I would spec a slight overwind to knock the hi's back a bit. I'm basing that on his 4 string pickups by the way - he does the J in a 5 string form factor as well though.

You can always give him a call, describe what you want tonally and he'll build you that. For the most part these are built to order so you aren't stuck with just the off the shelf spec - that's pretty cool.

I now have three sets of Pete's pickups in my basses. Also a bridge pickup in my Tele guitar. His stuff just rocks. Note the shielding job on the coil and the braided shield around the leads. He just does a sweet job design and construction wise. Quite beyond what I've had from some other boutique shops.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]