1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass pickguard with P-bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cobaumu, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Cobaumu

Cobaumu

Feb 27, 2009
    Hey all. Wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll do it here.

Does anyone know where I can get a Jazz bass pickguard with a cutout for a P-bass pickup?

I've done about a dozen searches, and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I've found places that will take custom templates, etc etc, but I'm looking to just place an order for one and be done with it. It doesn't seem like that odd of an item, but I just can't find em.

Any tips would be great. Thanks a lot, folks.

2. elwaupo

elwaupo

Jan 16, 2008
    Most P/J basses have a P Bass pick guard. I've never see a Jazz Bass with a P Bass pick up. Make sure it is a Jazz bass body. I will have a "sculpered" body, where the P Bass will have a "rounded" body. Hope this helps.

3. I was looking at a Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz recently, and it was a J body with a P neck p/u and a J bridge p/u. Sounds like what you're describing, but I can't tell you where to get the pickguard. Sorry.

4. A P-bass pickup will break through the back edge of a Jazz pickguard. Won't fit. You could simply not care about that, and roll your own, but I don't think you can buy one that way.

5. Rondo used to sell them for their SX PJ jazz basses but I'm not sure how they would fit a Fender.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Warmoth?

7. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    Go to the warmoth website or if you can, find a reggie pickguard. That would work too. What kind of jazz do you have? Are you routing out a hole to do it?

8. Cobaumu

Cobaumu

Feb 27, 2009
    It's just a mex jazz, so yea I'm actually in the process of routing out the extra space right now.

9. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
  10. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    A fellow tb'r informed me that in the newer mexicans, there is actually enough space in the neck pup's rout to put in a p pickup without any extra routing. If yours is so, apparently you can use a mexican reggie pickguard with no routing at all.

11. True for a standard shaped jazz pickguard

You can make one where it doesn't do this...

Roger Sadowsky does it all the time...

check out the vintage 4 p/j on this page

http://www.sadowsky.com/instruments/nyc_basses.html

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also there are scads of custom pickguard companies that can make one for you in any color you like. The only tricky part is getting their custom guard's pup holes to match up with the routing you do in the bass body. So what I'd do is send them your existing Jazz pg, and tell them to cut it for a p pup instead of a J pup, and then when you get the new pg, attach it to your bass, and trace the outline of the new P shape hole in the pg onto the bass body, as a guide for doing the routing.

13. Cobaumu

Cobaumu

Feb 27, 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I looked at Warmoth's site once again, and realized they do have what I'm looking for. Their new layout is just less intuitive than the old one, so I couldn't find it right away. Thanks again.

14. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    isn't the mark hoppus sig bass sort of like that?

15. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    isn't the mark hoppus sig bass sort of like that?