1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass with a flatter neck radius ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-bass-kreep, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Hello , I've been having some problems with my bass , the thing is I like low action .And I cant get the action I want without getting nasty fret buzz.

I could get a "modern" bass like a yamaha or a Shecter , but I'm really in to the more classic jazz bass sound and look . Is there a reasonably affordable jazz bass that has a more modern feel ?

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    My favorite is 9.5" radius found in American Jazz Deluxes, for example. I think that most MIMs or MIJs have 7.5".

Browse around the Fender Website and look for those models with 9.5" radius.

3. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    You might want to look into Lakland
    Joe Osborn a j bass with 10" radius
    mine is a duck dunn with osborn jazz neck...

cheers

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    A rounder radius won't stop you getting a very low action. You may have a setup issue or uneven frets on your current bass.

Have you considered maybe getting a Warmoth neck (or other third party parts supplier) who could furnish you with a flatter radius fretboard?

5. Sadowsky's have a 12" radius. However, neck radius should have nothing to do with buzzing or playability (as defined by low action). I would get a pro set-up for you bass prior to making any decisions based on buzzing, etc.... might just take a neck tweak and a little bit of fret filing and bridge adjustment.

That being said, the Sadowsky 12" radius feels quite 'modern' to the hand, while the bass itself (the vintage and standard models) does a good job of keeping a 'J' type vibe in both looks and tone.

6. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Agreed! I would try a neck-shim to lower the action first.

7. LookIt'sSteve17

LookIt'sSteve17

Oct 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Boy, are you in a pickle...

Laklands and Sadowskys, while they fit your criteria, are only going to be "reasonably affordable" if you're buying them used... and that's a maybe.

On the other hand, I wanna +1 the Warmoth neck idea, but you may not be into the idea of paying around $200 for a neck.

The way I see it, you have two options...
    1. the aforementioned neck shimming or
    2. adjust your playing style to fit a 9.5" radius.

8. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Dude, pop that neck off and put on a Mighty Mite licensed copy...they are close to 15" rad. Bought mine with tuners from Stew Mac...easy easy.

9. Thanks for the answers . I think I'll get a setup , and if that doesn't solve my problem I'll look in the geddy lee .