1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz gig-- SWR or G/K?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by justBrian, Dec 11, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I've got four jazz gigs coming up the rest of this month. I'll be sight-reading charts in a small combo-- should be very cool. So, would you recommend the SWR Electric Blue or the Gallien-Krueger 700RB? I'll pair it with an Avatar CB112.
    I've tried it with both and am leaning toward the SWR-- I like its warmth. Thanks for your help.

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Oh yeah-- I'm using a 3/4 strung with Thomastik Super-Flexibles and a BassMax p'up. Thanks again. :)

3. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Whichever you decide on, don't forget to use a small preamp for the K&K. I like the SansAmp ADI into a SWR WM12 for my compact rig.

Touch

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    If it were me I would choose the swr. The gk has more power a.i. watts, but if that's not an issue then I'd go with the swr. I too like there warm sound. Gk's sound a bit steril to me.

Kevinlee

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I have the 700
    RB with the CB112 cab...I'll be using it this weekend for a couple of small blues gigs with my EUB.

My previous small rig was a WM12, which doesn't have enough power for anything but the smallest gigs with the EUB...it does better with electric bass, though.

I think you'd have more power, options, bottom, and find the GK/Avatar would cover more gigs than the Baby Blue, which has much less power...about 1/2

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Two gigs down and 2 to go. I used the SWR for both of the gigs so far and got some really nice compliments from both drummers. Both said they really liked the sound of wood--that the sound out of the amp sounded just like my unplugged bass. Cool, eh? :cool:
    I'm going to keep using it, too. It's just an awesome little amp.

The G/K will be relagated to the rock gigs, which is not a bad thing either. ;)