Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz gig-- SWR or G/K?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by justBrian, Dec 11, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I've got four jazz gigs coming up the rest of this month. I'll be sight-reading charts in a small combo-- should be very cool. So, would you recommend the SWR Electric Blue or the Gallien-Krueger 700RB? I'll pair it with an Avatar CB112.
    I've tried it with both and am leaning toward the SWR-- I like its warmth. Thanks for your help.

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Oh yeah-- I'm using a 3/4 strung with Thomastik Super-Flexibles and a BassMax p'up. Thanks again. :)

3. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Whichever you decide on, don't forget to use a small preamp for the K&K. I like the SansAmp ADI into a SWR WM12 for my compact rig.

Touch

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    If it were me I would choose the swr. The gk has more power a.i. watts, but if that's not an issue then I'd go with the swr. I too like there warm sound. Gk's sound a bit steril to me.

Kevinlee

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I have the 700
    RB with the CB112 cab...I'll be using it this weekend for a couple of small blues gigs with my EUB.

My previous small rig was a WM12, which doesn't have enough power for anything but the smallest gigs with the EUB...it does better with electric bass, though.

I think you'd have more power, options, bottom, and find the GK/Avatar would cover more gigs than the Baby Blue, which has much less power...about 1/2

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Two gigs down and 2 to go. I used the SWR for both of the gigs so far and got some really nice compliments from both drummers. Both said they really liked the sound of wood--that the sound out of the amp sounded just like my unplugged bass. Cool, eh? :cool:
    I'm going to keep using it, too. It's just an awesome little amp.

The G/K will be relagated to the rock gigs, which is not a bad thing either. ;)