1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Neck and Body Mismatch

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bowthing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Hi Folks,

I just did a re-fret on a mongrel Jazz bass, '69 neck and '74 body from what I can tell. The neck heel was shimmed up with a popsickle stick, and I was interested in eliminating that as well as a lot of other problems. When everything was finished though, the neck sits so low in the body (about 1/8" lower than another Fender I have around) that the only option other than putting the shim back in was to cut the bridge saddles way, way deep. It's a badass bridge, and the G string now has a very shallow angle and not much tension on the saddle.

It plays and sounds great, but the strings are angled down a little toward the bridge and pretty close to the body. The neck pocket has the original lacquer on it, so I have concluded that the original body that the neck was on wasn't routed as deep. So I'm wondering what you might recommend. I was thinking I could rout the neck pocket flat, glue in an ash shim, then rout it to the proper angle and depth. Any other experiences or recommendations on this problem?

Thanks!

2. I moved this to Luthier's Corner...

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Popsicle stick? Egads that is bad. Certainly thick enough that putting glued in and fitted wood wedge like your saying sounds good to me.