Jazz neck on a p body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CraigplaysFend, Jul 7, 2008.

1. CraigplaysFend

CraigplaysFend

Jul 7, 2008
    Does anyone know if there is a problem with nut width if you put a jazz neck on a p bass? My P has a 1 11/16" nut and I believe the Jazz typically has a 1 1/2" nut. Any info would be helpful.

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    The nut doesn't matter at all.
    The neck pocket is the same on both basses.
    It's a straight across swap.

3. CraigplaysFend

CraigplaysFend

Jul 7, 2008
    but if the p has the 1 11/16" nut, and I go to the 1 1/2" nut, won't it crowd the strings (make them closer toggether at the nut than at the bridge?

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    If this was the case wouldn't they sell bridges for either jazz width or P width?

5. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Dude, you're fine swapping the necks.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Its fine, I have a P bass neck on my jazz, and a lot of people mix and match.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    The Fender P Bass Special is a P bass body with a jazz width neck. You don;t have anything to worry about. Alot of players actually prefer this setup.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That's the POINT of having a narrower neck. If you didn't want them closer together, you wouldn't change the neck.

9. CraigplaysFend

CraigplaysFend

Jul 7, 2008
    alright, alright, I was just trying to be sure. You guys are brutal. I just wanted to make sure becuase I could order a neck with the same nut width. Jeeeezzzzzzz!!!

10. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    you can order a bass with the string spacing the same at the bridge as it is at the nut????? you realize that this would give you 3/4" center-to-center spacing at the nut

R

11. CraigplaysFend

CraigplaysFend

Jul 7, 2008
    no, I can order a neck with a nut at 1 11/16" instead of the jazz 1 1/2" nut.

12. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    i did it today and yeah!!!!!!!!!!! it works and it's great!!!

the neck of my classic 50 p is on my jaco signature body
    and the sound is so great!

it's strange that the sound for slap is so marcus millerish!!

the neck (fretless) of my jaco signature is now on my classic 50 body and the tone is so great

i wanted to have a different sound (the jaco sound is too much popular and reproduced so i try to find my sound)

I don't think i'm going to come back to the first set!!

now I have to buy me another pbass fretted!!!

13. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

See the p bass in my avatar, with the jazz neck. The best of both worlds. :bassist:

14. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    That's not brutal. I'm going to sleep with your sister tonite. THAT is brutal. :mad:

15. bcgd

bcgd

May 27, 2008
    Is swapping out the neck on a Fender as easy as it sounds? Do you literally unscrew one and screw on the new one? If so what's the torque for the screws?

16. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    Of course it will, but that's just a matter of preference. It should work fine, though. Just make sure that the 12th fret is halfway between the nut and the bridge saddles to assure it will intonate.

17. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    You have to make sure that the neck is sitting in the pocket at the right distance. If it's a used neck, you may need to drill fresh holes if they don't line up exactly. I suppose you could use wood putty to fill in the old holes and start fresh. You must make sure the 12th fret is the halfway point between the nut and the bridge saddles, otherwise it won't intonate properly.

18. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Phew, what is all the excitement about?

Just get a Fender Squier P-Bass Special and you'll be fine.
    After you've replaced the p-ups and pots, strings wiring and shielded the cavities, added some decent strings and got it all set up to your liking, you should be content.

Just like any Fender really.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021