1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz opinion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by crikker, Mar 25, 2006.

1. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    This is going to sound dumb but I don't know any of you so what the hell. I'm an old rock'n'roller but I want to try out some jazz. There's a public radio station here that plays jazz late at night that I listen to on my way home. I don't mind it.

Follow this link though. Is this a type of station that plays something you all listen to a lot? http://www.sky.fm/smoothjazz/ Again, it's ok with me but I can't see listening to it all the time or anything. :help: If possible, can anyone post a link to an online station they enjoy? Thanks.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've spent over $1,000 CAD on jazz CDs in the last year...and I can honestly say I wouldn't listen to that for more than a couple tunes. There is a world of difference between jazz and "smooth" jazz.

Wayne Shorter = jazz. Kenny G = "smooth" jazz. The only "smooth" artist I can personally stomach is Chris Botti, mostly because he's a wonderful ballad player and easily the nicest, warmest trumpet tone I've ever heard in my life -- that ISN'T the result of a good engineer.

EDIT: Wow, that sounded really snobbish. I'm sorry!

You might dig cool jazz -- stuff like Miles Davis. His album "Kind of Blue" is a GREAT way to get into "legit" jazz. World-class playing, and the best selling jazz album of all time.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    That's not jazz, not by a long shot. I do love my share of smooth jazz (Spyro Gyra, Rippingtons), but it's so different from "real" jazz.

My jazz faves right now are Paul Desmond, Bill Evans, Dave Holland Quintet (very new-school approach), and John Patittucci (also pretty new-school).

4. I don't think Smooth Jazz is any less "jazz" than straight jazz, but Kenny G didn't help the Smooth Jazz stations...as far as smooth jazz, I would recommend Spyro Gyra and the Rippingtons, like Snarf said, and i would add Fourplay the the list, which Nathen East is the bass player...I don't listen to smooth jazz a lot, but i do like to put it on when i am driving home from a gig and need to calm down, or when i want a little bit of music, but nothing i have to really think about!