Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz question

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by cabin dweller, Mar 3, 2005.

1. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    I've bin interested in learnin' some basic jazz on my urb for some time now. My question is,can anybody help me find a cool site? So far everything I've checked out sucks. Maybe a site with sheet music or tab? I'm getting bored (alittle) playin' bluegrass all the time. Jazz music seams to be alot more difficult.

thanks ahead of tyme
    cabin dweller

2. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I had the same situation growing up in Manitowish Waters, not far from where you live. I was fortunate to be able to play with my Dad (drummer) at an early age, and jam with his friends who did a fair amount of jazz and swing music. If not for that, I'd never have gotten off the ground.

For me, the essential part of my early jazz education came from listening constantly. Every night, from 10:00pm 'til 2:00 am, I listened to Minnesota Public Radio's Jazz programming, without fail. I got to the point where I could pretty much identify anybody they aired; I used to do my own "blindfold tests". I had a lifetime subscription to Down Beat, the only jazz mag at the time. I remember, before I even owned a bass (this goes way back), I used to detune the lowest four strings on my sister's classical guitar and play basslines with records. Now, I can't believe how much listening I did. It just never ended! I think that was the best thing I could have done to prepare for my future as a bassist. I learned a million tunes, and figured out a lot of how this s**t works, just by having those headphones on every night. Plus, it got me used to staying up late ;)

Tab didn't exist; I still can't read that stuff. Standard notation is a lot more useful to a jazz musician. But to me, the first thing would be to listen to as many great jazz bassists as you can stand, just to give yourself a little context.

PS...CTXBass' suggestion is a great one. The Jamey Aebersold publications and play-alongs have helped a lot of people who don't have access to live jazz musicians to play with. That's a good link, check it out for some basic jazz info.

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    How far are you from a major city like Madison, Milwaukee, or even Mpls/St Paul? I know some really good players around some of those cities and can hook you up with a teacher recommendation if you are interested.

5. garron

garron

Jun 26, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Do you read music notation? Tabs might prove difficult to find due to the lack of frets on a DB, but if you know your way around the fingerboard pretty well, BG tab could probably show you a few things.

Your best bet is to get a teacher, if that just isn't possible, then a method book may be the way to go. In any case, as Marcus pointed out, do all of the listening you can. Just hearing the greats & getting the stuff in your head will help. Talk bass has pages & pages of info on all the masters.

There are some good players out there doing stuff that might be a good transition from bluegrass to something a little more complicated. If you haven't already, check out David Grisman, Bela Fleck, New Grass Revival, Vassar Clements, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, or Tony Rice. I know there are plenty more I'm leaving out, but I hope its a start.

Good luck.

6. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to get to a music store a buy a few jazz CDs.

7. Go find a used CD, tape, record store. You can go to a Pawn shop, buy a used turntable and get some used records, sometimes at a buck a pop!