1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz split coil wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jamesjazz, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Jamesjazz

Jamesjazz

Mar 9, 2019
    Hi, so recently I put some p bass pups on my jazz in replacement for the neck pickup, I have have kept the jazz bridge pickup as love how punchy it sounds. The reason I have done this is because I love the tone of pj bass, but prefer the playability of a jazz.
    So basically my question is. When I have the bridge pickup volume completely off the neck pickups work fine, but as soon as I turn the volume up on the bridge pickup the neck pickup sounds like the volume reduces by around 3/4, but only on the E and A string.

Is the wiring different on jazz than a pj bass?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. It sounds like one of the coils on the P pickup is out of phase. First mark the e-a coil with a bit of tape or something. Next remove the pickup and switch the wires of just that coil. Also while the pickup is out check that the two tops are magnetically attracted.