1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Transcription Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Graham Heaney, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Graham Heaney

Graham Heaney

Sep 24, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Aguilar Endorsing Artist
    I hope this is the right place for this. If not, Mods, feel free to move it.

Hey now,

I'm looking for recommendations of Jazz bass solos to transcribe. I'll give you a little background first which might help narrow things down;

I'm going into my third year of a Jazz degree course and we have to each pick one transcription to do throughout the year.
    The solo has to contain a lot of swung eight notes and bebop language and has to be in and around 3 mins long.

To be perfectly honest even finding many 3 min long bass solos has been quite difficult... I have some Scott La Faro recordings with the Bill Evans Trio that might be suitable but I was hoping for some recommendations of solos by some of the other great bassists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers. g.

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    A single three-minute solo is going to be hard to find (and sit through). :eek:

However, Paul Chambers is a great source.

From "Milestones" - Miles Davis, Straight No Chaser. Five choruses. F Blues. This is a very good one.

From "Leeway" - Lee Morgan, Midtown Blues, Eight choruses. Bb Blues.

Check out Paul Chambers' "Bass on Top" album. Lots of bowed solos.

Then get Jim Stinnett's books of Paul Chambers' transcriptions to check your transcriptions against. :D

3. There's a few Ray Brown solos off of the Oscar Peterson Trio album "The Trio" that are pretty long. "Sometimes I'm Happy" might be one, and it's a killer solo.

4. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Oscar Pettiford playing Stardust might work. It's not all "swung" eight notes, but there's not much difference between OP's swung and straight eights anyway. It's about 3 minutes long, and I can't imagine any bassist that's more "bop-ish".

5. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    Perhaps you may not want to limit yourself to a bass solo. Why not transcribe 3 mins of Miles, or Desmond, or Getz or any number of horn players. You could learn a few things.

6. Graham Heaney

Graham Heaney

Sep 24, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Aguilar Endorsing Artist
    Thanks!

There are some deadly suggestions in here. All the tunes have been great too!

And Chris, It's not me who wants to limit myself to a bass solo.
    I have done one or two piano and horn solos in the past and to tell you the truth I enjoyed them more than most bass solos I've done. Unfortunately, the college stipulates that it must be a solo on your own instrument.

Any more suggestions are more than welcome!

Cheers. g.

7. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    Too bad it has to be bass, there is so much more to musical and melodic solos (or rhythmic ones) than is to be found in looking only at the bass. But those requirements are a necessary evil sometimes I guess.

8. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    :rolleyes:

Keep your cello-centric views to yourself. There is only bass.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Girls... girls! No fighting. After all, it's only music.

10. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    Oh golly no! Did Mr. Parker and I get in trouble again? Relax everybody, Nathan and I are actual real world friends and stuff and despite his antiquated views on things such as strings and amplifiers and well let's just say it, dubious taste in music, he is alright with me. And he plays really nice too.