1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JBL E140 speaker value??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sfbass, Apr 26, 2010.

1. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I have an old JBL E140 (15”, 8-ohm) bass speaker I bought new in the mid-to-late 80s, and as I really haven't used it in years, I decided it's time to sell it so someone can put it to good use. It's still in a cabinet I built myself per JBL's specs, although I have a feeling anyone who buys this may end up tossing out the cab.

Anyhow, I really have no idea whatsoever of its value, so if anyone can help point me in the right direction in regard to a fair asking price I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks so much

2. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Good question, I have 2 E140's, and 1 E145, that I was wondering about also. Back in the late 70's & early 80's, to make any cab sound better, you just dropped in a JBL, or EV, and that was the end of it. Now it is so much more complicated, I have no idea of which replacement speakers to buy. Great speakers though!

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    As much as any old school JBL enthusiast will pay you :bag:
    Newer drivers are probably better for bass in almost every way, but there are probably people who would pay $150 per driver if they are in primo shape. Good luck.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    there are some who agree with you and some who don't. nobody will argue that newer speakers have way more power handling. but tonally many will definitely argue that a lot of the newer speakers just don't quite have the tonal pizazz of a great old speaker like jbl.

BassGreaser and Isotonic like this.
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Oh agreed, from 100 on up there is nothing like the sweet mid bass and midrange of a E140 or even two K120's. E140's require a refrigerator size cabinet though to get any real low end and then they don't handle the power so you need at least 2, etc. In a perfect world I'd use all JBL, I used to have a 2402 Bullet tweeter in a SWR cabinet. sweet.

BassGreaser likes this.
  7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I would check out the prices on Ebay, where I usually buy JBL speakers. Re cones go for about $100 or so. I got some never used K140's , still in the box for alot more, but, then again, I'm a JBL Luddite.

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    So you're a hoarder too...:D

9. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Me three. I still have two D140F's and two K140F's, and yes, both Epifani and Bergantino gear, but in a perfect world I would roll out those 2 x 15" cabinets and tube amps in a heartbeat, nothing like the tone coming out of those aluminum domes

10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.

Yeah, I confess, although I'm giving two K140's to Don Oatman at LDS for future considerations. He's building a 215 JBL loaded cab for himself! Just can't teach a couple of old dogs like us new tricks. :D

11. I too was a JBL addict. Bi-amp rig 4.K120s for highs and 2xK145s for lows. Then I bought an Acme B2, played one note on my open B string and was cured. Sold all the JBLs within a week and bought another Acme - then another pair. Small light and more real bass than the JBLs ever gave me!

Paul

timmerz likes this.
  12. The rig I used for years in the 80's & 90's was two JBL ported cabinets loaded with a single E140 each, QSC power amp and a G-K 400RB for a pre-amp, also for backup. Now that I'm older with a bad back, I use two Bergantino AE112's and a Carvin BX500. It sounds great but it won't rattle your pants leg like the old JBL's.

13. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My K140s should arrive Monday, I cannot WAIT for them. Popping them into a big old fridge cab and blowing away small mammalian creatures. Never really had a chance to use their instrument speaker, just heard great things, but I know their PA monitors are some of the best I've used. Just clear and crisp.

14. Please do NOT stick these into any old "fridge" cabinet. There are plenty of suitable designs that will allow them to work properly. Doing what you suggest,especially with a modern high power amp, will blow them in short order. Remember while they are efficient their Xmax is fairly small.

Paul

15. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I said big old fridge, maybe I should have clarified. Sunn 2000s cab.

Count Bassie and edwinhurwitz like this.
  16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    they should be absolutely perfect for that Sunn cab. if you dig JBL's (like i do) prepare to be amazed.

BassGreaser likes this.
  17. If this man says it's OK, I withdraw my comment and my fears are assuaged. Enjoy!! :)

Paul

18. I have what I think is the an old SUNN Beta Bass combo, - the amplifier. There are no markings on the cab itself but the tolex and the metal corners match perfectly to another piece of sunn gear i have and the speaker is mounted on a white background. The speaker has a very small rip in the surround so I was taking the speaker out of the cabinet to try to mend it with a little bit of flexible fabric glue. My screwdriver slipped my grasp and the handle landed on the dust cap, denting it fairly severely.

My question is, will this affect the tone of the speaker? If the answer is yes, how should I remedy this issue?

This was literally a shed find. I had no idea what these were until I found this thing and started doing some research. Who knows where the head went or how many years it spent in that shed unloved.

19. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Value of the driver is about $100. As others have mentioned, check Ebay.
    Great speaker, it cannot take a lot of power but it's got tones for days.
    I am a great fan of that particular speaker.

20. NECRO ALERT