JBL PRX615M or Yamaha DXR15

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Cteam, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Cteam

Cteam

Jun 17, 2012
    Guys,
    Need some help. I'm putting together a PA system for a 4 piece band (guitar, keyboard, bass, drums with guitarist and bass on vocals). I'm looking at either the JBL PRX615M or Yamaha DXR15. I'm currently not planning on adding subs at this time. Does anybody have experience with either speaker and do I really need the sub now. We are planning on sending most of the instruments and vocals through the PA. Thanks

2. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    Venue size, music type, stage volume, your eq settings and which instruments you put into them will all affect your results. Yes you could put a band through them and make a reasonable sound, but it will sound considerably better with a sub and high passed tops and will go louder while retaining clarity.
    Alternatively 3 ways like the kw153 keep it clearer IME if absolute volume isn't so important and you don't / can't get a sub, but they're costlier.

3. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Maybe nothing to worry about but the PRX600 series is discontinued. I have not heard either one of the cabs you mentioned but use some of the older PRX500 series and like them. One thing in the yamahas favor is a 7 year warranty.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There are still some out there. I prefer 12s for vocals (I have PRX612Ms and PRX512Ms), but I think I'd go with the 15s if you're going to run everything through them with no sub. I've been very happy with my PRX series cabs - I also have the PRX518S subs. Since the series is discontinued, I'd keep my eyes peeled for clearance deals on them. It'll be interesting to see what they bring out to replace them. They may try to catch up with QSC and others who seem to be incorporating more technology into their current lines. Maybe something with auto room EQing.

5. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    No since Neo speakers cost so much I think they went with traditional speakers. Now they claim 1500 watts which is marketing BS. They did introduce a 10 inch cab and a 15 inch sub. http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=121&MId=3

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Aha. The 712 weighs six pounds more than the 612, so that would probably just be the extra magnet weight. I notice they've put a fan in the amplifier section, too. Now I have to figure out how to get some of them. So now they have cheaper speakers and the cabs cost $150 more.

[​IMG]

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    BTW, if you're planning on getting the JBLs, save yourself a TON of money and buy them from Northern Sound and Light. You have to call them on the phone to get their price, but it will be well worth the dime. Forget the MAP price on their website. BTW, you'd save a ton of money on the Yamahas, too.

No affiliation.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The new PRX700 series has some interesting new features. In addition to the cooling fan, you can turn the LED on the front of the cab off. There are now two XLR/TRS combo inputs with separate gain controls, and you can choose whether you want to use Channel 1 or 2, or mix them. They also have two RCA input jacks, so you can plug your iPod directly into a speaker and combine the stereo signal into mono. Of course, there is a THRU [sic] jack for daisy-chaining. The THRU signal also can be switched to send Channel 1 or 2, or both mixed.

There seems to be a rudimentary DSP button to switch EQ from NORMAL to BOOST. It has the MIC/LINE button of previous models as well as a ground lift.

9. Go with QSC K-12's... they put the rest to shame!

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    They would be a good choice, too. However, you can't get NSL's deep discounts on them.

11. Cteam

Cteam

Jun 17, 2012
    Guys, Thanks for the input. Especially Munjibunga for the NS&L tip. I'll definitely give them call. As far as the QSC's, they get very good reviews, but I A/B'd them at GC with the JBL's and the retired sound guy who works there says they are so clear that they can sound harsh to some people. I don't know if he predisposed me to not liking them, but the JBL's did sound "warmer". Maybe I didn't give them a fair shot, but I'm still leaning towards the JBLs.

12. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    I do prefer the warmer sound of the PRX's. They sound smoother to me.
    A little cut around 200-300hz clears them up a little closer to the K series without the hyped HF.

I use the PRX415's, the 615's are lighter than the K-12's as well. I've schlepped gear around your years.....I like lite weight.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021