jeff ament in pearl jam songs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by backspacer, Feb 18, 2010.

1. backspacer

backspacer

Feb 18, 2010
    i just cant stop wonder in which pearl jam songs jeff use in effects and in those songs what pedals he use????

all the 10x i can give
    thank you, thank you, thank you

(sorry about my lame english skills)

2. That's a very broad question, as I think he changes it up quite alot. You might want to narrow that down a tad.

Also, he often uses 8-string bass guitars (like at the start of Jeremy). They have a unique sound that no pedal can duplicate.

3. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Really? Try either a Micro or full size POG.

4. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    he uses distortion in many songs. More than I initially thought. I've seen PJ a few times but never been able to see Jeff's peal board though...

5. Actually, I believe Jeremy was played on a Hamer 12-string.

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. J Hud

J Hud

Feb 18, 2006
    DFW
    Close, but no.

7. J Hud

J Hud

Feb 18, 2006
    DFW
    To clarify, that "no" would be my "opinion".

:ninja:

GrizzleTone likes this.
  8. The full-size POG can get much closer than the Micro, because of the detuned slider. When you play a 12-string, the strings in each course slightly detune from each other to produce a slight warble.

9. Jeff has never recorded with and 8 string.

10. backspacer

backspacer

Feb 18, 2010
    this is the 2009 tour board in the previous tours he has whammy to...

Attached Files:

11. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

May 31, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    giventowail.com is down so I can't link you to his gear page, but it's all there... His signal chain is wicked complicated and he's kinda like Tim Commerford... He's got ALL KINDS OF GEAR and gets some pretty basic sounds. For him, the sound he gets is, in my opinion, 1/2 the bass and 1/2 his fingers. He likes Jazz-pickup equipped basses (but recently switched to Mike Lull P-basses) and plays uncommon configurations like 12-strings, a fretless Wal, and an EUB. I know his board has a few EQ's and a bass whammy (among several other pedals), but where those other effects and the whammy gets used I have no idea.

12. backspacer

backspacer

Feb 18, 2010
    first of all thank you very much to all of you.....
    i'll know its weird question but it will really help me
    just pleas pleas post what ever you know.....
    i'v all ready tried most of the pearl jam forums:crying:

thanks again(and sorry about my English)

13. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    He mostly uses different types of distortion. Some of the other different sounding bits come from him using different types of basses, like the 12-string, his fretlesses, or his electric upright.

14. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    on ten he used a fretless 4 and a fretted 12 string. i was told long ago that he used an 8 string as well but i really dont know if thats true.

15. tmart937

tmart937

Jan 20, 2006
    That would mean Jeff never recorded Jeremy. :bag:

The intro is played with a 8 string. Also a 12 string is played in the into on a separate track. Although I think the 12 is only used for the harmonics. Must be nice to have a 8 string and 12 string that you only use for about 25 seconds.

16. attachment.jpg

EAW Micro Wedge's! Uh, schwing! :bassist:

Sorry, probably only the other sound people will understand where I'm coming from.

BrentSimons, AndyLES and Grumry like this.
  17. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    uh.. what's with the photoshopped cats?

Anyway. Jeff pulls out a lot of interesting tones, and his lines interact with Stone's to really hold the songs together, but he rarely steps into the foreground, soundwise. It's interesting to me, as a bassist (and tenclub member), to read he's actually working with this many effects... I had always been under the impression that his sound was mostly different basses and an overdriven Ampeg.

18. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Easy to reproduce with a VB99. 8 or 12 strings.

19. Something that no one has brought up is that for a good portion of Pearl Jam's early-to-mid career he used an SWR Interstellar Overdrive as his main preamp and Overdrive/Distortion (he was one of the company's Beta testers for the unit - listen to "Go" off of "Vs." for a great example of the "stella" recorded). Along with that he was the primary "pusher" for the development of SWR's "Goliath Sr." 6x10" cabinet, of which he used custom versions with no horns because of his use of various OD/DS boxes. I believe he still uses custom models that are outfitted to look like older cabinets, with Blond Tolex and Fabric Grill Cloth as opposed to the standard "Rat Fur" and Chrome Grills of that series of SWR speaker cabinets.

20. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    That distorted tone in the song "Go" is awesome. It sounds like a Rat to me, but I could be wrong. It seems to have a slight flanger or chorus in the "Versus" recording, also. It's a predecessor to Justin Chancellor's tone in Tool.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021