1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Ament -The Who Rock Honers

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by manjonning, Jul 18, 2008.

1. manjonning

manjonning

May 18, 2006
    Minneapolis
    He was awesome! Thought he sounded better than even Pino!

2. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    I also think he sounded awesome. I recorded it and have watched a lot of it again. Come to think of it. I thought over all, that all of the bass players sounded great. It was a great mix on that show!

3. Ditto on all the bass players that night! Great playing all the way around, great mixes for all the acts and the bass tone for all the bass players was KILLING!!

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I loved everything except the ridiculous "Tommy" medley thing. The bass player massacred the Sparks bass line.

5. MilesPrower

MilesPrower

Apr 27, 2008
    Jeff Ament was great last night, but you know who really suprised me.

Nate Mendel

I knew he had skill but jeez, he just went crazy on those two songs.

6. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY

I was quite suprised by Nate Mendel as well last night - he kicked major ass.

7. RudeMood

RudeMood Sadowsky and stuff. Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yes Jeff A. sounded great. I like Pino a lot but his P-bass sounded a bit muddy - I couldn't hear the bass solo on My Generation. I thought he always played a Jaguar with the Who to get more bite. Good show overall, I've been a big Who fan for 25+ years. Rogers voice is definitely going down hill though...

8. manjonning

manjonning

May 18, 2006
    Minneapolis
    I agree...Pino was a bit too hidden last night!

I was basing my Jeff Ament, comment, off of what the OX would have done if he was still alive...Jeff was closer than all the others in tone and all around playing by leaps and bounds! **** I think PJ sounded better than the Who last night !!! And they busted a Les Paul which is just plain dope!

9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I thought all the bassist did a great job last night! I know Vedder and Pearl Jam do have a real and longtime love of the Who, they sounded great! VH1 has been going Who crazy all week, and I couldn't be happier.;)

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I agree.
    Big surprise with Nate.
    He killer those songs.

Jeff had the best tone.

Pino was a little muddy.

Ben was also good, but needed more wattage.
    The little Mesa rig sounded good, but no juice.

All but one bassist use a P-bass.

11. I just happened to catch Pearl Jam's "Can You See the Real Me" - I was blown away by the entire band and how they truly delivered the goods, both in spirit and execution!

They killed!

I didn't watch the entire thing, but when the Who was up there and Pino was in action I listened intently trying to pull what he was doing out of the mix and found it hard to do.

The song they were playing was "Who Are You?" - and it really sounded good - but I could not get a read on Pino's part. Maybe there was just too much going on - but all the Who's live shows I've seen (on TV) where Mr. Entwistle was in the mix, his part was very clear and present.

I thought for a moment that he might have been holding back a bit as to not appear to be trying to replace or outshine the Ox.

Great stuff though!

12. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    +1 on most.

Ament's tone was the best, present and growly.

Pino must be using flats on that P. Don't understand why. Saw The Who just a few month before the Ox's passing, and he was playing that Warwick thing. His tone was so bright and present - actually the only bass coming through the PA seemed to be from the kick drum. . .

But I wonder why Pino would't use a clearer sound. Same with John Mayer Trio, man, that bass sound is just so undiscernable.

13. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    Pearl Jam killed !!! I thought Eddy sounded great but Jeff's tone was sweet ('57 P-bass ?). Anyone know what kinda rig he was runnin' ?

Rich

14. I was wondering that myself. It looks like he's using 3 Orange 6x10's, but on top of two he has a huge Marshall head, and on the other (firing stage right) he's got some little head. I'm not sure. However I do believe those are Orange 6x10's.

15. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    They're actually SWR 6x10's covered with orange tolex.

16. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida
    Jeff kicked @$$. The Ox would have been proud

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Nope. I would have thought so too, since he seems to always be playing SWRs, but these cabs are actually Ampegs. I initially thought Mesa when I saw the large control panel on a rear overhead shot, but looking closer, the porting is all wrong to be SWR or Mesa. They're Ampegs.

As for the heads, the Marshall (Major? Super Bass? Can't remember what Marshalls came in the large enclosures like that) and Ampeg are obvious. But for the small head, I'm thinking maybe Ashdown. It's definitely something with a light-colored or maybe silver/metal face and rear. In a few of the rear overhead shots it looks like it has a light/silver/metal vent on the side as well, but that could just be the reflection of the stage lights.

18. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    I just show the show... I really enjoyed Pearl Jam's bit.

Did you notice at the end of 'the real me', when the guitar falls and headstock breaks, it never touches the ground? The body makes contact first and the head just flies away... I would say it was a patched up guitar reserved for the occasion...

19. I just saw the tail end of it. I wonder if they're going to repeat it?

20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Oh dang, I'd have loved to see that, I hope some footage from the show will hit the Tube soon.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021