Jeff Beck: Still On The Run

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by roller, Mar 17, 2019.

1. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Good heavens -- if you have the means, check out the documentary Jeff Beck: Still On The Run.

My favorite guitarist (and come on, he's probably the most influential and innovative to ever pick up the instrument)... a fascinating look at his life and the instrument. Additionally, it's brilliantly produced. They interviewed some heavy hitters and got some deep, candid, insightful comments from them... not your run-of-the-mill praise you see in a lotta productions these days.

And what I just love is that Jeff is so humble and relaxed throughout. He's really achieved a great balance in his life.

Fantastic... fun... interesting. It's just super.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    JimK, BurnOut, Lobster11 and 4 others like this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I've always thought Jeff somehow just never got all the recognition he deserved.
    He's surely as good as Hendrix, Clapton, Page or Gallagher.
    I'll check out this documentary, thanks.

Low84 and BurnOut like this.
  3. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Just watched it last night.
    Thank you free Showtime.
    Very nice film about my favorite guitarist.
    Really like the fact that he likes to build cars.

Low84 likes this.
  4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    He definitely doesn't get the recognition he deserves from the general public, but I think he does from other great guitarists. According to this interview, for example, he is Adrian Belew's favorite guitarist.

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

With the exception of Hendrix, he’s way beyond those others. Always has been, and always moving forward.

Low84 likes this.
  6. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Love Jeff Beck, I've seen him many times. The best was his greatest hits tour, purchased seats right up front, he didn't disappoint. I knew and loved every song, don't think he said more than one sentence the whole show.
    The Trilogy of- Blow By Blow, Wired, and There And Back, are are definitely on my most favorite albums list.
    Guitar Shop is right up there too. I have a huge copy of the original artwork print from that one. A late friend had it and I pestered him persistently till he let me have it. One of my most cherished possessions, being from Jeff Beck, and coming from a good friend that died way to early.
    Peace N Chicken Grease

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Low84 and JimK like this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...been on my Want List for awhile.
    Thanks for the solid review.

Blow By Blow is one of those albums that I will always recall where I was the 1st time I heard it.

Low84 and BurnOut like this.
  8. Jeff beck has been my favorite of all times. Seen him many times.
    Currently relearning The Jeff Beck Group....the orange album.

Low84, BurnOut and JimK like this.
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The "Orange Album" is very cool.

...in HS, we attempted "Got The Feeling" from Rough and Ready. Clive Chaman's part is happening! Mine...not so much.

Both of those albums were the precursors for BBB.

Low84 and jerry like this.
  10. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Have the Live at Ronnie Scot's dvd with Tal and Vinnie which convinced me he is in a class of his own. Amazing technique. Too bad, the clips were pulled from YouTube.

11. I returned to playing regularly from a 5 year or so hiatus. I have to relearn my early roots bands. It’s like starting over....
    As a matter of fact the song “Definitely Maybe” from that album was the song that turned me on to Jeff Beck!

I have seen the OP’s video, Still On The Run, it’s awesome.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...this is what you get when you have an eclectic band of musicians...a couple outta Blues/Rock, a couple outta of R&B/Soul, & Max (Jazz).

You guys are gonna talk me into buying this, right?
    :)

Low84 likes this.
  13. For some unknown reason I stumbled across it online as a preview quite a while ago. I saw it for free....

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...just did a quick search on Roku-
    Showtime app and the Roku Channel.
    Subscription required for both. $12/month.
    :spit:

Amazon BD is ~$18.

15. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    You do know as soon as you buy it, it will turn up on Netflix or Amazon Prime, happens to me all the time.;)
    Tim Bogert was one of first bass hero's, but my least favorite playing with Beck. In the Beck documentary I was hoping they would have had some recordings he did at Motown with Jamerson, if they had that in the extras or something, I would buy it.

JimK likes this.