1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Berlin Discussing Music Ed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JeffBerlin, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Let me just add that taking this advice is hard on the EGO. I have done just this, and ran to a great local jazz teacher, and even though I have a degree in classical studies on the upright, studying jazz on the electric is kicking my butt! Definitely has exposes my weaknesses and the vast gaps in my musical education/knowledge. And the improvement is slow to see, because some of these concepts are new to me. I am working on "celebrating my confusion" which let me tell you, is a real thing when getting into jazz.
    I do hope however, to be three times the player this time next year! :smug:

2. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    BRAVO! BRAVO! I am totally proud of you! You are clearly a lover of music because you are willing to get down and learn it. Yes indeed! Music exposes everybody's weaknesses and deficiencies and most, repeat, most bassists cannot deal with this much reality. Music is a fantasyland to many players and it is also a lie because most players who are GOOD may not find some kind of success in this insane business. But the good players have way more of a chance than the guys who are dreaming about musical success in whatever for they are dreaming about it.

You are exactly the kind of guy who I admire, a guy who knows his limitations, accepts them even if begrudgingly (so what) and is doing something about your musical holes. Again, I say to you BRAVO! Believe me! You are in a great minority of bassist, a guy into it for the music and then come what may.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.