Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jeff Berlin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Jan 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm sure a few of you are familiar with Jeff Berlin.
    His early years showcased his virtuosity on the electric bass with early progressive rock groups as well as jazzers. Well, here is a movie of some of his talents, recently. The guy is a MONSTER!!!

http://www.kataweb.it/community/live/jeff_berlin/index.html

2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Jeff's simply off the planet. He is probably the most technically proficient bassist alive. The bass solos on his new CD "Lumpy Jazz" are as fluid and swinging as anything a horn player would do. Only 4 strings too.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm glad someone is as excited about him as I am :) !

4. Miroslav ain't too shabby either!

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    No he ain't :)

In fact Miroslav seems to have better solo chops than he did in his straight-ahead heyday with Chick Corea's early trio.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Jeff Berlin is my absolute bass hero. I first heard his playing on Bruford's "One of a Kind" album. My favorite is Allan Holdsworth's "Road Games". He may ruffle feathers with his opinions, but that's fine with me. I'd love to see him play live one day.

-Art

7. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    HA! - I just listened to the interview on that link. I thought the CD title "Lumpy Jazz" was just dumb. Turns out he had a point to make with it. It was completly lost on me till I heard it explained - but hey -he's an artist!

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I've read Jeff's columns for years but had never heard him play until that video. He is indeed a beast. . . that said, I don't know that I'd characterize his playing as any more accomplished or spectacular than that of Gary Willis, Alain Caron, Mike Pope, or Christian McBride. He can certainly improvise over changes with the best of them though, no question.

Just from that little bit (no flames, please, I realize that is barely enough to get a good idea of his playing) I prefer Gary Willis' solos because they seem more emotional while still taking things way outside and stretching, but remaining relevant to the changes. The solos in the video seemed more intellectual than emotional. Anybody have any thoughts, comments, cries of outrage? And any suggestions on where I can hear more of Jeff's playing (aside from those already mentioned). . . I didn't realize he'd played with Alan Holdsworth.

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You'll see why his playing is both more accomplished and spectacular than most of all of those players you listed above if you check out his earlier stuff and combine/compare it to the more recent stuff. The variety of styles and techniques he's used varies and in all cases he is at the top of the heap. He's played with Frank Zappa , Rush, Yes, Alan Holdsworth, Eddie Van Halen, Mike Stern.... the list goes on and on. As far as hearing him on other albums, just go to www.allmusic.com and search for him. There should be a list of albums that he's participated on.

I remember watching a video of both he and Jaco giving a master class at some college, "battling" eachother. Needless to say Jeff knocked the socks off Jaco.

I attended his school and his practice regimen is nothing spectacular, but is the most consistent and intense as anyone I've ever seen.

He is also amazing on the guitar!
    :eek:

10. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    "Better than Jaco!"
    :hyper:

?

:ninja: :bag: :oops:

11. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Cool, thanks a lot. I need to check that out. . . any other videos you know of? I figured anyone who writes what he does has to be able to back it up, and I didn't mean that this particular video was unimpressive by any stretch. It's just a very small sample so I need to find the variety. Oh, and don't people who can pick up another instrument that's not their "main" instrument and go nuts make you crazy? :rollno:

12. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Just viewing the link right now. Amazing. I love Jeff Berlin, has any body here taken lessons from his school?
    I thought about it many times, but could not seem to plan it with work, money and everthing else.

Peik

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Yeah, there's one killer solo in "Road Games" that's well worth purchasing the whole CD for. I've worn out about three copies of that CD learning all the intricacies of Jeff's solo. There were a bunch of great players coming out right around that time, of course Stanley and Jaco, Andy West of the Dixie Dregs, Gerry Carboy that used to play with David Sancious, Alfonso Johnson, and so on, and of all those people, I'd have to say Jeff's licks were the hardest to cop. And, I probably learned the most from the exercise. :D

Jeff is nuts. Totally out there. Definitely a great player. :bassist:

14. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    Yea, I took lessons from Jeff at his Player's School. Not only an amazing bassist, but a super nice guy and excellent instructor. Jeff really works at his craft. He made me feel like a real friend even though I barely knew him. Genuinely interested in seeing you succeed. Reading music and chord tones are two of his areas of focus.

Tim

15. JetJazz

JetJazz

Sep 9, 2004
    Houston
    Peik, I highly recommend Jeff's Players School in Clearwater.
    If you can't make the longer courses (up to two years) then try his One Week Intensive course. It was the greatest musical experience for me, ever!
    Jeff and his staff take students from wherever they are musically and go from there. It's all about YOU and the notes!

The first thing you'll notice at Players School is the lack of ego on the part of his staff. These guys are great and they want to make YOU a better musician.

JerJazz

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I met Jeff back in 1996 while working part time at the now defunct Thourobred Music in Clearwater Fla.The next time he came in I had him autograph the song book that came with his video.I set up for him several times at in store clinics,he is a super nice guy and great player.He actually remembered my name and we would chat every time I saw him.My wife and I
    run into him and his wife out to dinner sometimes.And he always takes time to come over and shake hands and chat
    and asks what I have been doing. :)

17. JetJazz

JetJazz

Sep 9, 2004
    Houston
    Jeff asked me to post the dates for the One Week Intensive course at the Players School of Music in Clearwater, FL:

March 21-25 From experience I can tell you that the week will be life changing!

www.playerschool.com
    www.jeffberlinmusic.com

JetJazz

18. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Willis is a much blusier player. He does have a great feel and I actually like his compositions better too.

But I think the point of the thread is to appreciate the significant voice Jeff Berlin is on our instrument. The fact is - there are TONS of great bassists these days to which we could compare Berlin, Willis, McBride etc.... Each one brings something different and special to the instrument and it's only appropriate to acknowledge them. Learn what you like about Berlin and mix it with what you like and learn about Willis etc... appreciate each for what they individually bring to the table.

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Jeff is really cool. I've been to several of his clinics; one time I brought my then 5 year old boy with me, and at the end of it, Jeff asked if anyybody had any questions, and of course, my son asked him something about Star Wars, and those two talked for like 10 minutes before Jeff went back to answering bass related questions. I may take his week course next year.

20. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Jeff is real good with kids,he used to bring his to the store all the time when he did clinics. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.