1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jeff Schmidt Solo Bass Helix Preset

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HamOnTheCob, May 15, 2017.

1. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Hey guys, I just uploaded a preset for the Line 6 Helix that mimics the washy ambience behind Jeff Schmidt's fretless tracks. It's not perfect but I thought it might be of interest to someone.

You can download it here:
    Line 6 CustomTone

Here's a demo I made of the preset. Forgive the playing... that's not the focal point.

Cheers!

HotelX likes this.
  2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I dig it! There needs to be more videos showcasing what this can do for bass. Most of the vids are just a guitarist going through all of the bass presets without putting any work into getting a decent sound.

I'm mulling over between a Helix and an AX8 still. Both have things that I like and both have things I dislike so I'm trying to decide based on pros and cons, and whether or not that choice will perform the way I expect.

Ikkir and HamOnTheCob like this.
  3. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I somehow never saw this. Did you ever decide on the Helix or AX8?

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I went with a Helix. Pros: Better I/O and more routing capability. I wanted dedicated headphone out, aux in, and dual signal paths. The goal was to simplify my entire rig and use the same piece of equipment for playing/practicing at home, gigs, and recording.

I haven't had the opportunity to really delve into it as much as I'd like, but I have gigged with it and liked the results.

HamOnTheCob likes this.
  5. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Awesome! I use mine constantly for guitar, bass, and vocals. It's the most inspiring piece of gear I've ever purchased.

Dave W likes this.
  6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    nice - love it! I have only one suggestion - run the verbs/delays through a low pass filter to shave off some of the high end and you've got it pretty much nailed. I also use distortion in there too - but it's so subtle it's probably not noticeable to most people. #flattered