1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jeff Schmidt (upside down bass)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blopazone, Oct 2, 2009.

1. blopazone

blopazone

Sep 9, 2009
    Saw this guy looking for piccolo basses on youtube, and found the way he played very very interesting, yet very nice.

Wanted to see what u guys think of this one, i read somewhere that he just turned a right handed bass and learned to play that way. The way Jimmi Hendrix did i think

Jeff Schmidt Live Solo Bass (piccolo fretless)

This way he gets this like arpeggios with the bass thats sound incredible.

What do you think?

2. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    He's using a left-handed bass with right-handed string order. God knows.

3. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I met Jeff a few years back at one of gerald veasley's bass Bootcamps. He was a monster then too!

4. That guy's got some serious chops, and a real unique approach!

His tuning is pretty unconventional, too! It appears that it's strung (high to low) Eb - Bb - F - C - F (dropped down a whole step from G). I don't know if I would call it a 'piccolo' per say, but Jeff Schmidt definitely can use it to great effect!

5. He's on these forums. Personally thats my favorite song of his I particularly like what is essentially the "chorus" around 1:05ish. His technique is really impressive kinda wish he'd write an article or do a video. Or something because I'd like to hear thoughts on how to integrate those types of techniques together.

6. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Chops absolutely.

Unique approach? No way. If I heard this track as audio only I would swear it was Micheal Manring. The track is impressive but being such a big Manring fan, it's kind of annoying how much of a rip off this is.

7. Also being left handed I find it very impressive how he can play bass this way. I think he is a very good bassist but it's not the kind of music I would normally listen to.

8. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Considering Michael and I shared the stage that night - I believe the correct term is "Homage".

"Rip off" - would be more like the jazz bass, bridge pick-up burps we'd get from the thousands of players who routinely play "The Chicken".

You don't play The Chicken . . . . . do you? :smug:

moving on.

of course I'm flattered any time people respond favorably to my playing and music (who wouldn't be!) but the response to the Apotheosis video has surprised me.

As the artist - I feel that I have videos of far more musical, emotional and even technical pieces online that don't get nearly the response that one does. I always wonder why.

Apotheosis was written rather quickly for THAT show (as an homage to michael who headlined) I never recorded or released the piece. It was - in all honesty - a one off.

But it's the one that gets passed around the most.

I'm not sure what the lesson is. Maybe - no matter how hard you try - there's no way to tell what people will respond to.

Don't know. But it's cool nonetheless.

Thank you!

9. blopazone

blopazone

Sep 9, 2009
    I do believe that Jeff plays more aggresivly sometimes, for example apotheosis, plus i dont think is a clear rip off. I think Michael was one of Jeffs influences so its a bit obvious to take a bit or more then that of the techniques or sounds that Michael might do, however, he still aproaches his own technique in one or another way, wich I think is spectacular

10. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    Keith Horne from Hot Apple Pie, and many other country artists, plays that way too.

Check out some amazing stuff here(don't worry, it ain't country!):

11. blopazone

blopazone

Sep 9, 2009
    Great bassist admit it i was amazed as well, but seems to have a different technique (no need to say that its not the piccolo, string upside down technique, even though i dont think its a technique) wouldnt know how to explain though

12. I gotta admit it took me awhile to notice anything weird about the stringing. My dad plays a left handed bass strung right handed, so growing up I got used to seeing it. I can see how it would be confusing though.