Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerry Peek Recordings

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by WillCO, Sep 22, 2005.

1. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    All -

I always liked Jerry Peek's playing on Steve Morse's early solo recordings and even saw them opening for Rush on the Power Windows tour (gulp, going on 20 years ago).

But I haven't heard anything out of Peek since those days. I DID A SEARCH and found very little discussion about Peek here. I think he lives in Atlanta - is anyone aware of any projects he's been involved in since the Morse albums, and any good recordings of his playing?

bluesdogblues likes this.
  2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Wow I don't hear Jerry's name much these days... Last year around July, he called me to cover three gigs for him at the Rialto Theater. It was for Beehive, the musical... fun gig. Not a bad referral, eh?

He is a great guy and he currently making good money in the plastic industry from what I remember him telling me.

You don't find many cats with the chops that he has, especially using a pick!

Mike Sorr and bluesdogblues like this.
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Once upon a time-
    I had this friend who moved to NC(to open a Raleigh branch of a certain local music store)...anyway, he comes back & has an album by a local Raleigh band called 3PM; 3 guys in the band had last names that started with "P" (one was Peek), 1 guy's last name began with "M".

2 guitars, bass & drums. Early '80s Fusion if you will, I do recall listening & going "Wow".

This was definitely pre-Morse band daze.

I'm gonna dig thru my stuff to see if I might have it...

FWIW, I couldn't get with that Guild bass used by Peek; damn plastic pickguard covered up the entire bass' body.
    ;)

J-Rai...
    Ask Peek about 3PM!

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    will do. I'll call him some time this weekend.

I couldn't find 3PM on allmusic.com.

5. I play fingerstyle, but Jerry is the only guy that I ever dug that played with a pick. I remember seeing Jerry on tour with Steve Morse way back in the day, must've been early 80s. He totally blew my mind with his slap playing, I bootlegged one of his gigs and tried to steal all of his slap licks from a solo he did.

I also have one mp3 that I downloaded from his days with 3pm, it was done a few years before he joined Morse. Shows off his picking and slapping pretty well.

6. wtcornet

wtcornet

Oct 9, 2008
    3PM's only album is Better Late than Never. I believe it was released around 79 or 80.

7. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Zombie thread!

Jerry is around here. His member name is Peekster. I haven't spoken with him in a year or so; not sure how often he logs on.

8. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Not sure either, it has been years since I have talked to him. He is suh a great player.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bass Player just recently had a Peek/Morse transcription.
    If I remember, I pull it out again & re-read.

BP called the band MP3 (not 3PM). ;-)

10. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Jerry Peek, great 'unsung' bassist who deserved more pages in TB :D
    I always learn Jerry Peek with Steve Morse Band note for note when I was at my technical peak of bass playing (LOL)..and I didn't know then that he is a pick player. Let's share your comments about this great bass player..:bassist:

11. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Is it really him?

Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 8.33.43 PM.png

Last Post was Apr 22 2012, but last seen Mar 25, 2014...means he's still lurking around :)

Hi @peekster if you read this,...and if you are Jerry Peek,..I'd just like to let you know how I love your bass playing :D

12. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Play I some music... Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Jerry Peek is one of my favorite all time bassists. His work with Steve Morse left its mark on me. I would love to see him get some more recognition. He is truly a great musician.

13. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yes, it is him.

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    The tune BP covered was Cruise missile or Cruise control.
    I tried playing along, whoa. Wicked hard & fast.

15. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Man, I remember learning Jerry's bass line for Cruise Missile back in the mid 80's when it came out! Such a cool bass line with the slapping part, the fast chromatic lines, and the solo too. All great stuff.

16. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    ^ As technical as that part was, Peek sounded relaxed playing it. That was what made it so great.

Dave LaRue later played a very similar bassline on the title track of the "Structural Damage" record. LaRue is 100% badass. However, he sounded frantic playing that similar part, and the result was much less cool to my ears. Listen:

Jaco Taco and bluesdogblues like this.
  17. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Yeah, I never liked LaRue, Peek was way better. LaRue did too much crappy slapping. Slapping can be cool, but not when you do too much of it crappily.