Jessica Jones on Net Flix anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bigfatbass, Nov 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Please no unhidden spoilers in this thread, I'd like to encourage people to watch, and wouldn't want to ruin anything juicy.

Made for Netflix superhero series that was just released called Jessica Jones. Dark, funny, great pace, and great nods to film noir and the private eye genres.

The leading roll is striking, but not your typical TV star looker. Twisted and evil story line right out of the gate, and nice creepy teasers to her back story throughout. The overall vibe of the show is spot on. Best thing from the Marvel universe on TV in recent memory for me.

Huge thumbs up, about to watch episode 2.

2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Just watched a few episodes tonight, it's really good, plus it's got David Tenant in it.

murphy and mbelue like this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    thanks for the recommendation - we've been interested, and now we'll be giving it a shot.

and anything's better with david tenant :D

murphy, MartinG1957 and Will_White like this.
  4. I'm 1/2 way through the season... not bad, not great, but entertaining.

mbelue likes this.
  5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Somebody posted a pic in another thread. I was wondering why she looked familiar...Jane from Breaking Bad.

murphy and James Hart like this.
  6. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    The lead actress has been several things so far. She seems to prefer playing damaged characters.(Probably more fun)

I really dig it, but I've loved Marvel most of my life and am thrilled to see this stuff on TV(of any variety). Especially thrilled to see more mature content. Don't get my wrong I watched Ultimate Spiderman(with my daughter, great excuse), but its nice to see things not shy away from the grittier edge of drama.

I'll second the Film Noir nods in the show although I have to point out for "Film Noir" there are ALOT of daytime scenes. Feels like an oxymoron at times.

Really thrilled about all the strong female characters. Too many times are superhero shows/movies a boy's club. As much as I like to see people and their laser eyes I like the gender/racial distribution to be relative to reality.

Honestly Netflix had my money with Daredevil. Great series and some of the best martial arts I've seen in TV. Not much better in life than seeing Charlie Cox get brutalized and stand back up for more. I'm convinced that dude is in pain. Great acting.

Don't really feel like Jessica Jones stands up to Daredevil but it seems to be for a different audience. I'd guess its targeted at the female SciFi audience. Even the lovemaking scenes seem to be woman empowered. Kudos to Netflix for breaking the mold on this one. So even if I'm not nearly as in love with this series as Daredevil I'm excited to see more content "for women" in the genre.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    bigfatbass and Will_White like this.
  7. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I did a search for the show title and didn't find one, is there another thread on JJ I am missing?

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    No, it was a "what are you doing tonight?" thread. Somebody wa s going to watch JJ.

bigfatbass likes this.
  9. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Episode 2 also delivered. Great writing and pace, and super creepy villain

10. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    We're two episodes in and totally dig it.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm hesitant to even try this after watching DareDevil. Talk about a bland turd of a show. I got to episode 3.

12. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    It's not in the same style as Daredevil so you might give it a try, also Daredevil picks up after a couple episodes so you might give that a second try too.

mbelue likes this.
  13. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    DD does start slow, but really gels after a few episodes.

mbelue, crucislancer and zontar like this.
  14. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I did like DD
    Tried 10 mins of Jessica Jones......got bored...
    Should I try again?

I really love Breaking Bad and Homeland just to compare what I appreciate

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    mbelue likes this.
  15. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Tried it, gave up on it.
    Interesting premise, good setup, but the execution was dull and the sexual references mostly felt gratuitous.
    The story could have dropped at least half of them and survived--some felt like they were padding the story and/or pandering to those who think that's what non-network shows should be.

Too bad, because after a slow start, I liked Daredevil and had hopes for this one--I mean it's got Luke Cage in it as well.

Very disappointed.

murphy likes this.
  16. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Remember, the first episode of anything is virtually a pilot. Tons of exposition to get in there, and they are setting the frames for all the characters. You need to at least watch the first episode until the end. Trust me, JJ does NOT stay mellow, it gets DARK.

Will_White, mbelue and murphy like this.
  17. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I watched the first episode last night. I liked it, certainly going to continue and see where it leads. I wasn't familiar with the character, I stopped reading comics on a regular basis in the late 80's, so it's nice to be a bit in the dark on what she's all about. The main villain, on the other hand, is well known to me.

18. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    After being disappointed by the first episode we decided to keep watching to see how it shaped up.
    Watched the second episode, started the third, couldn't make it through that one.

murphy likes this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Ritter is exceptionally attractive:

[​IMG]

Kind of makes me think of a brunette Paris Hilton.

20. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    So I finished the season, I wish there was more, atleast the ending wasn't like The Flash tho. It also turned me on to a surprisingly good band, Sleigh Bells.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021