1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joe Hubbard- Chord Tone Mastery Book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Green1, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Green1

Green1

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I just picked this up and It just might be the best thing I have purchased for my bass studies. It is 400 plus pages covering 9 different chords in every key. Tab and standard notation as well as explanations. I really love Joes teaching style and that he is able to so effectively explain the concepts he is presenting. I am having a blast working through this book and I'm sure most any bass player would find it useful as well. Thanks Joe for all the great material you continue to share with your fellow bass players!!!

2. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Yeah, I love the book, too! Joe may have gone a bit too much into the whole "modern day over the top marketing" approach while announcing the book, but his stuff is absolutely top notch. Having experienced his other products and services before, I had no second thoughts about buying this one.

3. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I bought the book last week, and started it a couple of days ago. I like it a lot. He really does have a no nonsense style of teaching, which is rare these days.

4. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I'm enjoying the material so far, and I'm still basically on the first exercise. Instead of blowing through a book as I've done in the past, I want to make sure every exercise becomes ingrained in my playing.

A couple of his suggested fingerings had me scratching my head, though. At first I figured they were proof-reading errors, but perhaps Joe changed things up a bit, so I just rolled with them. All in all, though, I can see myself signing up for one of his courses down the road if this book works out as I anticipate. I like his teaching style.

5. Minus

Minus

May 22, 2011
    Great book for sure. I've found Joe's material is the best instructional material on the market. His 2-yr course is very chord tones centered as well.

6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Kind of pricey and apparently only available through his website. Could one of you take us through what he's doing? If a player can already deal with most standard jazz tunes in lead sheet format, and knows music theory very well, what does it have to offer?
    Thanks.

7. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Lots of pages, and "In every key" is usually a red flag for me, as it usually means they're writing out things that it'd be better to work out on one's own. But maybe that gives him a chance to write out some fingering or other technical ideas that I wouldn't have thought of on my own? I'd be curious.

8. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I would say it's more of a basic to intermediate book. It's 11 melodic concepts over 9 chord types. It's printed out in the cycle of fourths, but you could take it a step further and play it through any cycle, e.g. cycle of major/minor thirds, seconds, etc. Or, take it even further and play the exercises through every chord in a key. Whatever you want to do really. Only you can know if it's something useful for you.

9. Green1

Green1

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have been taking a similar approach. I have been sticking to major minor and dominant, those are the most comfortable. Ingraining this stuff in the muscle memory is the time consuming part. Playing through these exercises in the practice room is relatively easy but pulling out some of these concepts in a real time live performance is quite another thing all together. As I always remind myself, have fun and enjoy the process. There is enough here to keep me interested and not get bored for a long time for sure.

bassfuser likes this.
  10. An ambitious book. I can't see myself going through 400 pages of exercises though. I did Jeff Berlins Chord study and it was like 50 pages. Worked for me.

Nashrakh and Green1 like this.
  11. Green1

Green1

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I think it would be less pages if it didn't present examples in every key. Its basically 11 different concepts/exercises over 9 different chord types.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 9:55 PM
    AMp'D.2play likes this.
  12. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    And right off the bat, you can cut the book in half since the second 200-ish pages is a duplicate of the first half, but written in tablature.