1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joe_Atlanta checking in

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe_Atlanta, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Hi folks, long time no see. It’s been over eighteen months since my last post here and during that time my life turned upside down a couple of times. I have a lot of ties (both personally and through my Zydeco band) to Louisiana and New Orleans. After the disaster of Katrina (both the hurricane and the government’s botched immediate response and criminally slow, bureaucracy plagued ongoing response), my bands did a lot of benefits and I also stayed busy doing individual relief work.

As all that slowed down a bit (and I burned out), I got an offer on my house that I couldn’t refuse, so I ended up moving after 25 years in one spot. The whole process of finding and buying a new house, packing up and moving was awful. I’m pretty much of a pack rat and boxing all that stuff, moving it and unpacking it is still going on a year after our move.

My band situation has changed. Although there were initial hopes of continuing, both my Afro/Cuban jazz band and my alt country band are dead with vital members moving out of town for personal reasons. That leaves me with a blues band and Zydeco band and between them I’ve been fairly busy (the Zydeco band recorded a CD this spring and worked whole lot). Here’s a sample without the dreaded accordion, lol. zt-bbjam.mp3

Things have finally slowed down for me, so with some cash in hand, I’m looking to lighten up my rig a little more. As I move into my middle fifties joint problems, arthritis and back pain are increasing. I have been sifting through the archives in the amp section, looking for the latest, greatest and lightest and I can feel the GAS starting. :D

Joe

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Welcome back Joe!

Former New Orleanian here, River Ridge area(1959~1989). Packrat here as well so I know what you mean. Good luck on the rig weight reduction...our ages are close so the same happened here. My last reduction went to:
    Line 6 Bass Pod XT-> QSC 2402 -> ACME B2's

In a lot of the "band" situations, they provide BOSE so it gets used and ACME's stay home. I much prefer ACME's but won't argue with an "already there" rig that I finally(6 months of trying) got a decent sound out of.

For an "emergency" rig, a SansAmp BDDI rides in the gigbag.

Previous rig was a 4x10 + 1x15. That got to be too much trouble to move alone.

3. Hey guys, thanks for the welcome back. Only right that league of happy B2'ers would take note. :bassist:

Johnny, a couple of my bandmates were active during your time in N.O. Trombonist Gary Vosbein was there in the late 80's doing latin and jazz stuff and guitarist Kris Sherman (who subbed for several months in my Zydeco band) played a lot with a rock band in the mid to late 60's called the Illusions (later Dr. Spec's Optical Illusions). BTW, the Guzzlers' tunes sound like fun to play, good luck with that project.

Joe

4. Hey Joe! Good to see you back.
    We're long overdue for an Atlanta GTG.

5. Hey Dave,

Yeah, an Atlanta GTG would great. Big fun to see everyone and what they are playing and playing through.

Joe

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    great to see you again, let's catch up soon,
    J

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021