1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John East preamp with EMG pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Clanker, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Hi all,

I have a Marcus Miller signature Jazz bass by Fender. I'm thinking of installing a John East preamp that is designed especially for this bass. Thing is, I replaced the original pickups with active EMGs. The bass is now without a preamp. My question is: can I install the John East preamp with the EMGs in the bass?

Many thanks,

Dave

2. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Watching

3. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Yes, but you need to email East and ask them what value vol and blend pots they recommend.

Assuming 25k isn't a good idea with active pickups, I've seen people intentionally use 100k for a darker tone or to get more clank. Depends on your use case, that should be discussed with your preamp manufacturer.

funkinbottom and Clanker like this.
  4. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Even if the preamp is designed for my bass?

5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Your Marcus Miller bass pickups had volume pots that were either 250K or 500K in value. When you switched to EMG's there should have been pots that were 25K included with the set. What you have to do is verify the volume pot value(s) on the East pre and install accordingly.

somebrains and Clanker like this.
  6. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Ok, think I understand. Thanks all :)

7. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Stupid question probably, but if I get the East preamp will I be able to switch from active to passive mode like the bass was originally?

8. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Yes but you may want to add the passive tone control which is a must for me. Had to move the jack to the side on my old jazz bass. Best to contact them directly with all your questions. It will not operate as you think but it was a great improvement for me.

Clanker likes this.
  9. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Thanks a lot! Appreciated. :)

bbh likes this.
  10. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    If you have active pickups then you'll be able to switch off the East, but the EMG's will still be active.

I have the East preamp on the Marcus Miller bass too. I will say the preamp has a VERY hot output and I have the internal trim controls dialed way down as it was overdriving everything I plugged into. Not sure if your active pickups will add to this problem but it's something to be aware of.

I ended up using bone stock pickups from a MIA jazz with this thing and the sound is massive. Frankly I'm spoiled now and nothing else holds up to the East. I was trying some quality basses at the store this week and couldn't find anything that sounds half as good as my ax. Whatever I get next will probably have to have another East product put in!

bbh and Clanker like this.
  11. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Thanks for that. I love the bass as it is but I was playing a G&L L2000 recently and it sounded so powerful! Hopefully the East preamp will give me a similar boost. :)

InhumanResource likes this.
  12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Well, it will get you pretty much any type of j bass tone you want from vintage to modern and everything in between with squeaky clean quality, punch and as much treble as you want. But it won't turn your bass into an L2000. Maybe just save up for one of those?

13. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Understood. I have a Tribute G&L and it just sounds so powerful with the electronics that are in it that I want to, not emulate the sound, but the power. If that makes sense? I really don't know much about electronics and preamps etc. But I have played a Marcus Jazz with East preamp and it sounded awesome. Thanks.

InhumanResource likes this.
  14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Oh, it'll get you that for sure. Let me know how it handles those EMG's.

funkinbottom and Clanker like this.
  15. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Will do! Thanks :)

16. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    This is the reason why I recommended the OP contacts East.

Some preamps, like Hazlab or whatever they use in Foderas use 100k pots. Fodera used Haz, then switched to something else. I looked in a couple of them and saw 100k pots but a "not Haz" preamp.

I have also dropped in 250k pots on Nordstrand and Bartolini preamps bc they were way too bright.

OBP preamps need signal from 500k pots bc 250k sound weird.

SD stays neutral at 0 with 500k, but 250k it behaves different.

Preamp behavior is not all the same as choking off a passive tone cap.

bbh likes this.
  17. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Sorry, that went way over my head but thanks anyway ;)

18. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

You can use EMGs on John's preamps without worrying about changing values on the vol or blends. His preamps are designed to use either. By the way, EMGs and John's pre is a killer combo. Furthermore, I used EMG pickups with 500K volume pots with no issues at all. Never acted like a on/off switch.

ctmullins and Clanker like this.
  19. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Thanks for that :) Looking forward to hearing it once installed. BTW this is a great site. I only signed up to have a question answered but I'm going to keep using it :) Cheers! Thanks all!

20. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Welcome, We’d love to have you as a member. It’s my favorite website.

Clanker likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021