1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Entwistle bass solo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by king_xanadu, Sep 25, 2008.

1. :eek: amazing

what effects is he using?

2. bump
    on my own thread :atoz:

3. ben_the_bass

ben_the_bass

Jul 12, 2005
    Rocklin
    ah, I see you have stumbled across the Ox, young padawan. :D

4. obviously

why do they call him the ox?

5. Because he was solid as an Ox. They also called him Thunderfingers. Guess why ? :bassist:

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Because he could snap them really loud?

7. "There can be only ONE!"
    fishheadjoe

8. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    As far as I can tell the only "effect" is a distorted guitar amp mixed with his clean rig.

9. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    His rig is as complex as it gets. There isn't just one effect he uses. There's an elaborate system of pre-amps, crossovers, you name it. I saw this in an issue of Bass Player after he died, just reading the progression of his live rig made my brain hurt.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    And he uses different stacks for his high notes, mid notes, and low notes.

11. So true. His sound is as processed as you can get. It's impossible to identify any single "effect". Bass players for decades have been trying to reproduce that magical "Entwistle sound".

12. Also heard it was because he could handle his alcohol and drink just about anybody under the table.

13. The camera on the end of the headstock really is awesome, but weirds me out the way it looks when it's on. He IS solid as an ox. He's Thunerfingers becuase of the way he can work the strings on the bass, and I hear that he actually can't hear that well and had to have the bass amp up so loud on stage just to hear himself that it overpowered the rest of the stage. The guy was a monster and played a WARWICK by then!

This is a great video, by the way! Amazing how relaxed he looks doing all this!

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I like this one here ...

15. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Supporting Member

This version of 5:15 I like better. No bass-cam, but.....whew...fasten your seatbelts... the solo is later in the song.

Great stuff!!!!! He was up on Mount Olympus.....a god....

16. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    thats the actual reason. i met him on several occasions. super nice guy. signed tons of autographs

17. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    err, isn't that what kilt him?

True story: drummer I played with years ago was the President of the New York chapter of the John Entwistle Fan Club (not kidding). He hosted a Meet&Greet for John at the China Club in the early 1990's and said that in the course of slightly less than 3 hours John downed 43 Remy Martin's!

18. wade_b

wade_b

Jul 8, 2008
    Cocaine killed Entwistle, and probably explains why he could drink so much.

19. 80min700mb

80min700mb

Aug 4, 2008
    I would kill for his Warwick.

20. The different stacks were for different frequencies, not notes.
    Saw John live twice before he died.
    The best ever. No argument.:bassist: