John Patitucci's Online Jazz Bass School

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by erniej, Jul 15, 2012.

1. erniej

Dec 14, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Has anyone signed up for this yet? Love to hear your thoughts. Looks very comprehensive. There are beginner, intermediate, and advanced paths to follow. And you submit videos for feedback when you need it. Here are the table of contents for those.

I am starting jazz bass in college this fall as a relative beginner to double bass and am taking lessons and also trying to cram in any info I can get may hands on. I am taking lessons from a good teacher which I think is invaluable but in an hour we move through a couple of pages of Simandl and a standard and our discussions of the type listed in those tables of content are necessarily brief. The advantage of these videos it seems to me is that one can watch over and over again and get a much more focused explanation at any time than in a one on one lesson where a weeks worth of work needs to be reviewed as well as an assignment for next time. My lessons are mostly bowing and technique which I consider absolutely imperative for learning how to deal with such a challenging instrument and so I do not want to change the ratio of classical to jazz within my private lessons.

So I am thinking of augmenting private lessons with this. I would hope to cover all of that information during my schooling but I do not think redundancy is a bad thing. I am looking at some free sample lessons from the site at the moment and the videos look well produced and helpful.

2. FSSimon

FSSimon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks for the link! I did not enrol but am now considering it also. I'm curious about the video feedback, how will that actually work out.
    I looked at the free lessons and the one on dimished scales is brilliant. John is such a great teacher... :)
    I've also looked at the Nathan East lessons and they felt a lot more like performances than lessons to me... :meh:
  3. erniej

Dec 14, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Your welcome. A buddy of mine who was doing the Howard Levy harmonica site and actually sent me the link say's it works quite well and that the teacher is able to get into some detail in a 5 to 10 minute response and that the responses are prompt even when the teacher is on the road. I think it is worth a shot. So much material. For me that might be overwhelming especially starting at the beginning but on the other hand it is nice to see where it is all headed.
  4. erniej

Dec 14, 2011
    Cary, NC
    I went ahead and signed up, there is a guarantee, and went straight to the video exchange area and watched two videos of students of various skill levels. Johns responses, from a hotel room with his bass, were about 6 1/2 to 7 minutes long and very detailed with demonstrations and recommendations which consisted of going back to basic lessons on shifting and sound production etc... to quite a bit of homework such as transcribing a specific Dexter Gordon solo for one advanced player. I thought the responses were appropriate for each students level and very personal. He also pointed out things the submitters did well.

Anyway, I'll try it out. See what happens.
  5. What does this guarantee mean?
  6. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    What recording was the Dexter Gordon solo from?
  7. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    In the sample lessons in the double stops excerpt, at the end he mentions he is tuned to A442, not 440.
    Anyone know why?
  8. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    I was looking at the site last night for a while...honestly..what do you think? it worth it?....I was tempted to sign up but I get sick and tired of being scammed and ripped off by people that talk the talk. (not referring to JP).I'm a beginner so I'm vulnerable...any long time players on this site sign up?..;I expect to work at it, that's not the problem. it's just will it cover what I need...I saw the syllabus of the beginners course..looks great..just not sure about the web learning's a new many questions.....ANY thoughts please lets hear them...
  9. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

After thinking about it it's probably because the piano was sharp.
  10. al808

Oct 11, 2008
    Hi Terry,
    I joined and think it's got a lot of valuable video lessons. Also it's only 90$ to join for 3 months, so it's not much of a financial risk anyway. I've been playing for close to 30 years.

Hope this helps,Cheers,Al.
  11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    A442 is the new A440. :D

My kid studies at the Colburn School (L. A.), and the school tunes to A441.
  12. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    not necessarily in that order:

it's common practice for name orchestras (think BSO or LPO, i.e.) to have a particular relative pitch like 441 or 442 - I've heard various reasons such as conductor preference, best pitch for room, certain pieces are better sharpper or flatter

the lessons look pretty good - of course he makes it look easy - I watched most of the free ones - probably worthwhile and this level player deserves an income for sharing
  13. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012

Yes, that's good to hear if someone with your background can say that...I'm still thinking about it quite did you go about practicing online?. Does it keep a log of what you last did or left off? When you finish one lesson does it automatically move you to the next or does one have the ability to jump around the lesson list?

14. al808

Oct 11, 2008
    Hi Terry,

You can access any lesson you want whenever you want. I really think at that price it's a no brainer.

Cheers, Al.
  15. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    I'm inching ever so closer to enroling...I like the layout of the beginner plan..seems to cover quite a bit.....
  16. odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Looks great! What a teacher he is.
  17. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    well, I asked more questions from a gentleman called David Blomdal, who was extremely patient and have decided to take a chance..just not sure if I should do 3, 6 or 12 this stage of my evolution maybe the 12 would be's not an excess amount of money when you think about what I would spend an hour if I could find a LIVE, willing teacher in this town......
  18. Emoody

Emoody Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Better start with 3 month, if you are pleased, you can extend it without problems.
    I subscribed for this period, not to participate really but to have an insight of his teaching-approach in relation to his playing which I like.
    It's very informative, I like the individual feedback he gives to the students and his relaxed attitude, very positive.
  19. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    perhaps a good idea....take it would be nice to have a live person to help me out
  20. davidsbass

Dec 5, 2010
    is it is possible to download the lessons for permanent access after purchasing them?