Joss Stone band/Beyoncé Band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Vorago, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I saw both yesterday on television, live, and they both sounded great! Joss Stone's band was really great, great musicians and an excellent sound (although that might be remixed later on). Anyway, can anyone tell me something about the bassists in those bands? Joss Stone's bassist had a beautiful red jazz-shaped bass, which I think was G&L, but I'm not sure. It sounded superb, thats for sure.
    I didn't get to see Beyoncé's bassplayer close up (all the cameras were on Beyoncé, which I don't mind btw :D ), all I know is that I saw him in an Ashdown advertisement (I think, I could be wrong). At the end of the show, the band jams a bit on crazy in love, and holy smoke, it sounded great.

Any thoughts?
  2. SimonMerrick

Jan 25, 2005
    Yeah, both bands are great. It's common these days to see many of the top commercial pop artists out there with some of the best session guys available. Personally, I dig Joss anway and have her albums, but even Beyonce, who I have seen on perform live on TV a few times, has a great band. It's great the way the musicians normally spice up the music live to make it more satisfying for them by adding new sections etc. Great stuff!
  3. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Ive seen a music video for one of Joss stones songs, and that red jazz shaped bass which looked custom, did grab my eye, very nice.
  4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    yeah, I've got some live videos from TV shows that show it... it's a custom for sure. He uses an old looking SVT with an 810 laying on it's side. Great band, great bassist... no clue who he is though.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Joss's bassist is Peter Iannacone, he plays great grooves in the live band!! Check out her live DVD :bassist:
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Thanks (Haven't got the DVD yet... maybe next week)
    I've seen 3 or 4 bassists names associated with Joss' works. Glad I have a name to put to the groove.
  8. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    or she will use a couple of cats out of the church- Sharay Reed,Vollie Craig
  9. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Wow, I saw her live before christmas and her bassist SUCKED!!! he was definitely the weakest link (how in the name of Jeebus can a bassist make a balls of Aretha's "think")..maybe he was a stand-in
    for the night...real tall skinny bloke with crazy hair and playing a red fender clone (quite nice actually)...oh yeah and he was miming a few tracks as well.

Now Beyonces bassist is in a different league altogether.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Or Maurice Fitzgerald.
  11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Kern is from Detroit, I've met him a time or two, he wouldn't know me from a stranger tho, he's a nice cat.
    He's also Beyonce's musical director.
  12. Yea good sound quality on that dvd also Destiny childs world tour DVD is even better as well as beyonces live in wembly dvd
  13. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yep. I met Kern a couple years ago, but he wouldn't know me from a stranger either. I saw Destiny's Child in Vegas a couple months ago and when they introduced him as the bassist and musical director I was blown away.

14. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Hehe, a bit of trivia sorta.
    Name the band that beat Destiny's Child on Star Search.......
    Skeleton Crew!!!
    My old band!!!!
  15. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
  16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I saw Joss Stone with Mavis Staples thursday night on tv. Don't recall what Mavis' bass player was playing, but it was going through a GK head and Hartke 4x10. Not the greatest sound, but it was very buried in the mix.
    Joss' bass player, OTOH, was right up front in the mix, and sounded HUGE. Very fat and warm, but with a good snap to it. He was playing an LTD EC-404 through a Mesa Bass 400+ and 8x10. I've never really thought much of LTD's lines, but that sound has me pretty interested in wanting to play one of those 404s.