Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jostling my memory...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by miko, Jan 13, 2004.

1. what are some good ways? my boss tells me i don't have a good memory.

i do, just not short-term :D

what're good ways to improve your memory? what do you do? association? word games? "telephone?"

i'm actually being serious, for once. future bonus will be determined by my ability to retain information.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most memory techniques work with pictures.
    You connect the things you have to remember with pictures, and you string those pictures to a little story. Our mind works in pictures mostly, so you'll remember things much easier.

All those numerous xx-techniques, Monster learning (tm) are just variations on this prinicple. But it works quite well.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Post it notes. I write everything down. Stay organized and get rid of old post it's as soon as you do it, whatever it is. Works for me.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    When I meet someone for the first time, and they tell me their name, I spell it back to them.

As an example.....if I met you and you said your name is Miko, I would say in reply "Miko...that's M..I..K..O..right?"

It usually throws them off when I do it, but it is a nice thing to do to start a conversation, instead of the typical "how ya doin?".

-Mike

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Do you have bad short-term memory with everything, or just certain things?

I would say tie a ribbon around your finger to help you remember things you have to do....but you would probably look a little funny with 7 or 8 bows tied to each finger! ;)

6. Dori! (From Finding Nemo)

I remember the stupidest things like,what color shirt Shaniqua was wearing,but not the algebreic(sp?) equation formula we learned in Math that day...

I have selective memory I guess.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Palm Pilot. For everything important.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    My mind immediately went to Bruce Almighty--

"Prayer POST-ITS!!!"

*WHHOOOOOOOSSH*

"OK, maybe not."

:D

9. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I had one of those, but I forgot to take it with me, and forgot to use it when I could have. :D :meh:

10. http://www.dvc.edu/english/Learning_Resources/Eight ways to improve your memory.pdf

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. now how's this for scary -- i FORGOT that i wrote this post, and that's why it took me a while to reply.

i'm not kidding!! :rolleyes:

i think my tendency is to forget stuff that seems insignificant to me. for example, i hate numbers, but we deal with numbers a lot at work, so i have to remember wire transfer amounts, bank balances, that kind of thing. i don't always correlate the amount with the entity.

i also tend to forget what people tell me the minute they tell me. like, i don't process it at the time. i have to contemplate it after the fact.

my boss is big on specificity. he has a photographic memory and gets angry if i don't relay information EXACTLY as it was told to me. he's not into paraphrasing.

i find that very difficult to do, as i am all about content and context.

right now, the big thing i'm doing is putting post it notes on everything, and keeping lists for everything. i think it makes me look a little idiot-savantish, but it gives me a visual reminder as to what the hell i'm doing.

maybe i need to stop inhaling. :meh:

naaaaah. the damage has already been done.

:p

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Do you have a PDA to help you keep track of the "Stuff that seems insignificant"?

If you don't have a PDA, it might be worth getting one to help you with your memory. Or it could make it easier for you to forget things. :meh:

People tend to become lazier with technology. Like calculators have made my math lazier!

13. i'm a pen 'n ink person.

gotta go; cab is waiting...

14. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I saw a presentation from Microsoft about a common mental state known as Continuous Partial Attention. There is so much going on now, it is easy to forget things. Goading yourself to remember won't work. You will forget inevitably.

You can, however, take measures such that when you forget, you are triggered to remember.

When I go grocery shopping, I sometimes make a list, and then only count the items. "I need to get 6 items". You end up with only 5, you know you forgot something.

Similarly, your boss tells you to do three things, just remember you have THREE things to do. If you only do two, you forgot one. Think *** was it you were suposed to do?!

Here is another. I am sitting in a meeting and something comes to mind. For example, I made a mistake in a report or I need to pay my credit card, etc., .. I am afraid I will forget to correct the report, pay the bill. I put my watch on my other wrist. Two hours later, when I have long since forgotten, I notice my watch is on the wrong wrist. Why did I do this? I was supposed the recall something, .... Or I might set the alarm on my watch, so that two hours later the alarm on my watch goes off. It is not to remind me of an appointment, but to remind me I have something to do, which likely has long since slipped from my memory.

Here is another. I forget to bring things. I forget to bring my lunch, or bring my laptop to work etc., . Leave the item in a place so that you will have to overstep it in order to pass. I leave my laptop in front of the door. I leave my gym clothes hanging on the door knob.

This way, I don't have to rely on my memory. Instead, there are these physical obstacles / reminders to ensure I don't forget.

Hope this helps.

wmh