Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Judas Priest VS. Iron Maiden

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43% burnt, May 2, 2005.

1. Judas Priest

17.9%
  2. Iron Maiden

82.1%
  1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ok metal heads...Which of these two kings of metal do you like better?

I have a buddy whos totally obsessed with Iron Maiden. The guy has 4 eddie tattoos, and plans to get many more. I love to bust his chops about how Priest is so much better, have been around longer, and probably influenced Iron Maiden. It always makes for good conversation, so I thought I would pose the question here.

Anyway, I have a hard time saying which band is better-I love both bands. I personally like Iron Maiden's music a little better. Plus Steve Harris is a big influence for me. For the title of Kings of Metal, I would give it to Judas Priest. Due to the fact they have been around for longer. I also like thier guitar players better. But its a tough call. What do you think?
    :bassist:

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Judas Priest Judas Sucks...

... for the most part.

3. iron maiden

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Well, if it was about which metal band was around longer, wouldn't Black Sabbath win?

But I personally can't stand Judas Priest. The only song I like is 'Painkiller', and I like the cover Death did better than the original.

Iron Maiden, on the other hand, is amazing. They're my second favourite band, and Steve Harris is a huge influence to me. IMO, Maiden has better guitarists, bassist, and singer (I never did like Halford's voice). They have so many great albums, and I never get bored of listening to them. They're also amazing live.

Up the Irons!

Graeme :bassist:

5. "

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Halford's voice has got much worse over the years. It's strange, now it's just a high pitched whine.

7. Its funny...I'd take even Blaze Bailey-Era Maiden over Halford's Priest, anyday.

"FREEEE-DOOOOOM"

That's one of my favourite songs to hear in concert!

8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Without a doubt Maiden. Priest is so boring and annoying.

9. I love both.

10. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I have seen this same topic many times
    I prefer Priest over Maiden
    I have to be in the mood for Maidens non stop galloping guitar..It seems like every song has that damn gallop and therefore most of there songs sound the same.

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Not surprised to see Maiden in the lead. That is probably because we are bass players and with Maiden bass plays more of a role than it does in Priest. In different circles (maybe guitar players) Priest might win out.

Both are good bands but I love classic Maiden. You guys should check out the "Early Days" DVDs if you haven't yet. They are really well done and I learned alot, despite being a fan for many years. For instance I had no idea there were so many line-up changes in the 1970s! They follow 'em in this DVD. Plus the rare concert footage was killer!

12. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    That dvd is awesome!! Yeah, I'm not suprised Maiden is winning either. They are a better band IMO. I love Priest too, but there are more Priest songs I could do without than Maiden. I just love agruing with my buddy...he gets so furious, it's funny. But between bass players there is no question. Steve Harris is the man...one of my biggest influences.

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Speaking of Mr. Harris how about his rig? I know he uses Trace Elliots, doesnt he play through like 8 custom marshall 4x12 cabs? .He must have like 4 roadies to carry his gear alone.

14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

All I remember from the 80's guitar magazines (they were my friend's, honest!) was Judas Priest whining the Maiden stole all their licks.

I like songs from both bands, but I like Maiden better.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, Maiden is slaying Priest. Oh, and I'm not basing this on bass (ha) at all. I'm basing it on songs.

Maiden Galloping vs. Priest Straight eight note.

Ahh classic metal...

16. Yes, stole them, recomposed them into wonderful pieces of music, galloped them into a rampage, added about 3 other themes and rhythms to the composition, and made some Maiden songs out of them.

That's like saying that John Coltrane stole My Favorite Things, or Sergei Rachmaninoff stole an old Russian folk melody...

...Well a bit less extreme, but you catch my drift.

Metallica also said they influenced Maiden...and they did...about 5 years after Maiden were at their prime...

17. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    judas priest all the way, the guitarists are a lot better and halfords much better than bruce. ( i always wished they kept paul dianno)
    maiden have got very boring in the last 15 years, whenever i buy a newer album, theres a few great songs and lots of filler.

but we all know whos got the best bass player ;)

18. Well, certainly Judas' guitarists are better shredders, etc...but you can't deny the quality of Dave Murray and Steve in making some awesome riffs and memorable solos...

I mean, their solos arent as difficult as Priest's but they are just as effective. Randy Rhodes (not to say he isnt better than them all) on Crazy Train...so many people can play that...but its not the difficulty so much as the style and the melodic and harmonic feel he had that made the solo work with the song and be so memorable. Maiden is great with that (especially in their early days).

I agree..they havent gotten better:
    MY Fav Maiden albums:
    1. Iron Maiden
    2. NOTB
    3. Powerslave
    4. Killers
    5. Piece of Mind
    6. Fear of the Dark
    etcetc

19. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I find Brave New World, and Dance of Death to be amazing albums.

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, although I don't dislike older JP.