Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Julian Crampton and Paul S. Denman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funkee1, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Anyone into these guys?

Crampton is one of many bassists with Incognito, but in my opinion, the best one.

Denman is Sade's bassist, and founding member of Sweetback.

Anyone know these guys?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've always prefered Randy Hope-Taylor's playing in Incognito... but yeah, Julian and the rest are all smoking players.

Paul D is within my top 5 players... the man can tell stories with a single note. I actually warm up often to a mix of Sade stuff.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was also partial to Randy. Julian is a great player. Check Basia's CD's. He plays on those as well.

4. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas

I like them both. I just happened to listen to "Jacob's ladder" from Incognito's 100 and Rising CD, and was floored. I want to learn that song, and Incognito's website has a transcription!!! Woohoo!!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's a great showcase track, but I prefer his simpler funky lines on Incognito tracks - he is one of may current favourites and I can't get enough Incognito albums - I play them in my car and it really cheers me up!! :)

PS Julian teaches and gives workshops in my home town!!

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Jacob's Ladder was the first song I ever heard by Incognito, still my fav, and the intro is the first cool thing I ever learned how to play. I LOVE that intro! Come to think of it, I'm going to go edit my post in the "best bass intro" topic to include it.

7. Paul S. Denman is one of my favorites - I remember seeing Sade on Saturday Night Live a bazillion years ago. Watching / hearing him groove on the Stingray was a treat. Wish I would have recorded that episode. :cool: