Just a quick rack question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeDaddio, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Now that I've got my 400+, 'd like to put her in a good home. I'm just wondering now: should I just get a 6 space rack, or an 8?

I'm planning on getting a power conditioner, but I'm just wondering that if that will still leave the 400+ enough room to breathe with that one space between them.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hew, I've been considering getting that amp, what cab do you play it through? I'd suggest an 8 space rack in case you ever need to expand for more gear.
  3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    bigger the better with that beast. What is your setup? You might want to consider getting a 12 and leave it on the floor. I had a GK 2000RB that weighed a ton and got a 16 space rack and put some drawers and stuff in it to fill it up and that is what we used as our promo station at gigs as well. That way you can have it on wheels and roll it where you want it.

Just an idear.
  4. As an additional point, think of the weight!

Once all your stuff is in a rack, it may weight a ton!
    I chose to split my rack between a 4U (power cond, effects, preamp) and a 2U for my power amp...

If you get a 8U or 12U get the castors that are sold as options.

Protect your back!

5. [​IMG]

Firkin, that's my setup as of right now. I'm thinking about getting the Mesa Powerhouse 1000 and selling off my Goliath III, or maybe mix and match some Berganto's. (By the way, I was at NAMM last week, and I saw someone wearing a shirt with that guy in your Avatar on it on Thursday....)

I'll probably go with the 8, as I'm seeing some for a pretty decent price on eBay. Any recommendations as to what brand, and what type of case I should get? I mostly see people with SKB's and Gator's, but there seem to be a few different types of each. I'm not sure I want to go shockmount, as that just seems to bump the price up an extra hundred or so bucks.

Also, for a power conditioner, I was looking at something like this:

or this:

Will either of those do me fine? Also, how are the prices on those? Thanks guys!

6. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I vote to get a four space just for the Boogie and get another rack (whatever size) for the power conditioner, tuner and effects. I have a 6 space with my power amp, preamp, tuner, wireless and power conditioner and I HATE lugging it around (about 80lbs) especially after gigs. So I'd say to put the heaviest weight in the smallest size you can deal with and get something different for whatever else you need.
  7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    That guy weary the shirt was probably me. :) I think that's what I was wearing thursday.

8. I was standing in that gargantuan registration line. I got there like 30 seconds after the fire marshal shut down the registration area and made everyone wait. It tool me nearly 2 hours to get down there!

9. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I had mine in a 14 space shock rack and I was running out of space.
    The 400+ is not very deep, don't have the exact figures but there was quite a bit of room behind it. Just remember, as said earlier..the 400+ is pretty darn heavy with a full compement of tubes...get a shock rack to protect em and make sure you leave enough space for that vent fan.
  10. Bump...

Any advice on the power conditioners I listed?

Thanks again guys.