Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just a random question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 127.0.0.1, Feb 23, 2005.

1. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    Why is your cabinets are mostly loaded with 10 and 15 inch speakers where guitar cabs are mostly 12 inchers?

Just wondering.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Guitar players use 12's because 'famous dead guys' always used 12's in their Marshalls and they want the same kinds of distortion. Bass players use whatever tends to have the best engineering for their needs and are avoiding distortion for the most part. Guitar speakers need to handle 25-75w, while bass speakers are about 10x that.

There are plenty of good 12's being used in bass now, but there was a period (1970-1990) where few 12" cabs were being made for bass. Style as much as anything I suppose.

3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Yep, I might be getting the avatar sb112 now :)

"Guitar players use 12's because 'famous dead guys' always used 12's in their Marshalls and they want the same kinds of distortion. Bass players use whatever tends to have the best engineering for their needs and are avoiding distortion for the most part. "

Good observation. Guitarists like distortion. Bassists like clean. It's usually what sounds the best together :)

I've been listening to alot of music lately looking for examples of bass distortion. Other than heavy metal/rock you won't find much distortion in bass.