Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Evan, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Evan

Evan

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    is there a program for your computer that takes out all the music on mp3's and just plays the bass part?

2. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    yep. I had a program like it but it was for MIDI. It seperated it into lots of pieces, but for normal mp3 format i wouldn't have a clue. It should be there on an audio editing piece of software like cubase VST

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There is no program that can do this.

4. Evan

Evan

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    ok if i changed it to midi what are some programs that can do that?

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Heh, if you could change it to midi then you'd have already done it.

there is no way to convert audio into midi format.

well, there have been attempts, but ultimately they have failed.

MIDI is a data format, it does not play audio, it plays programmed 'events' that are translated into audio by software.

6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    |I am sure there must be a program that does this. You can convert a song to midi, and then you can choose what tracks on it you want, but that will only be in midi format.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Nope, there have been attempts as I mentioned before, but there is too much background noise in audio files for a midi decoder to get a clear line, you'd end up with lots of overtones and stuff.

Like, take a tuner, and put it up to a speaker, and then try and learn a line by the notes the tuner calls out while the music is playing, that'd be what it's like for the computer to do it.

8. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok, there might be a (expensive) solution: convert the MP3-song into WAV. Read the WAV-file into a MATLAB-variable (Mathworks) and play around with the (expensive) Signal Processing Toolbox. An advanced band-pass digital filter may work for your song. ;)

Seriously, there is no easy way to get rid of "unwanted" music-information in a recording. Sorry!

/MrBaloo

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hey, the easier way, would just be to cut out hte HIs and raise the LOWs on your EQ, it won't really do THAT much, but it might be all you need to pick out the bass part a little easier

10. Evan

Evan

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    hmm i guess ill do that thanks alot for the help :bassist: