1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just finished

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AllYourBass, Jan 9, 2007.

1. So after quite some time of work here and there I have finally finished my first build.

Neck through, 13 boards pressed together in the body.
    Walnut, Mahogany, and Maple.
    ebony fretboard; DiMarzio Model J's; Bartolini HR 5.3 electronics.
    I carved the top to a nice arch all the way around.
    Finished with a pore filler, then a sanding sealer, then 6 coats of Lacquer.

Sounds Great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Nice bass!!!

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    looks cool....well done

4. nice

5. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Clean first build! Now your hooked....lol!

6. Congrats man, that's awesome :) I'm getting ready to string up my first electric in this next week, I can't wait.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Great.

8. Thanks all,

I very much am hooked after this one.
    Almost before it was even done I was look at parts and thinking of new design ideas. I never expected this to be such an addicting hobby.
    The hardest part for me is just finding the time to do a project being in college.
    So I have a few months to design and plan before summer.

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, that's what to expect when succeeding with a difficult task - especially when doing that well!:cool:

10. Looks like good work, the only thing that I don't like is how far the bridge is forward. That adds a lot of extra wood and therefore weight.

lowsound

11. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Nice first build! What is your scale length?

12. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    beautiful! good work!

13. The scale is 34". standard nothing fancy.

Yeah the bridge being so far forward does add some weight, and its by no means a lightweight. I did that mainly to keep the overall body shape.

14. Nice clean work! And yes, it is a very addicting hobby, no doubt about it!

The bridge location is much more in keeping with a Les Paul appearance (which, as a gu*tar player I like!), but it also moves the whole scale toward the headstock by about 3-5 inches, which can (A) make for a neck-heavy instrument especially with that body shape, and (B) it really makes you reach for the first few frets. That's why most production LP basses have the bridge closer to the end of the body...and also why most of the single cut instruments you see here have the upper bout on the bass side extended toward the headstock.

But if you've got the wingspan to reach that F, well then...that's the beauty of a custom-built instrument. :bassist: