1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just in need of some quick advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cyber Soda, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    I found this listing on craigslist
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/1140173981.html
    I'm considering trying it out, picking it up, taking it home. My situation is that I've got a practice amp and a guitar amp, and I depend on PA systems for anything bigger then a... well a cubicle basically. I'd started playing for my company about nine or ten months ago (the West Indian Folk Dance Company) and I really need a better amp. Before I jump into it, make some kind of stupid decision I just wanted to try to ask my people's opinions. Well people?

Thank you.

Oh, and I've called the guy, he said he still has it and he'd be okay with me trying it today if I wanted to.

2. Meh....Crate is just meh.

Never been a fan. But for $300 for a head and a 4x10, I don't know if it's a deal to pass up without at least trying it out.

3. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Yea crate is crate, nothing special, but for what you're getting for that price it looks good. Just try it out and if it sounds good, go for it.

4. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Oh no, I know what you two mean, I've played and tried plenty other rigs, I'm just looking for something to gig with so I can make some cash basically, not a set up that'll blow my mind. But if you think it's worth at least trying out at that price, I'll go for that.

5. Just think of it this way: Someone at Crate, at some time, while supposedly listening with an objective ear, heard this exact rig and decided to put some money into development. It won't be the sonic equivalent of unicorns dancing upon mellifluous rainbows, nor will it sound like two midgets fighting to get out of the trunk of a '64 Impala.

Neither amazing, nor amazingly crappy. Try it out and see if it fits your needs.

6. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I don't "sig," but if I did, I would sig this.

7. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    lolol, well if it wasn't before that'll sure as hell put it in perspective.

8. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Oh, now I found an offer on a beat up Henry the 8x8 with a painted grille at $350. I could always buy the head, that wasn't really a problem. I like the convince of having the entire cheap rig, but that seems like it would be a nice deal. What about that?

9. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
  10. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Actually yeah, that's the very one! Thank you for the advice and pointing me to this thread, I had lost the one on craigslist.