1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just lost another dog :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Up until recently weve had 3 dogs, we lost one earlier in the year, and her sister (same litter) was put to sleep an hour or so ago, everything was shutting down.

This keeps getting me in waves, but she was 16 and had a good life, but, you know, its not the same without her :( We had her since i was about 4, so, they have always been there, just seems empty now :( Time passes too quickly, and you really only notice some things that you took for granted too often when they arent there anymore, everyone in the house is really upset that this, she may have been old, but she was always a puppy at heart :crying:

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss man. My friend has a Border terrier which is getting quite old now, he's nearly 13. He's starting to wind down now and I know he won't be around forever. It's going to be bad when he goes, and I don't even own him!

I love him though, he's a neat little guy and every time I see him I wish I had my own dog!

I guess I know how you feel though, with the sense of loss. I had a cat that I had had for years that had to be put down because it developed cancer. It was awful knowing that I had to say goodbye to the little bugger, so I just told him I'm see him on the other side. Still, there was nothing I could do for him!

3. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Sorry to hear it...we had to put my dog to sleep when she was 18 (I was 19 at the time, we had her almost my whole life) and I felt so sad, like what you're describing. But what's great is that you did so much during their lives to make them happy and safe... that's what's important. You always allowed them to be carefree. And you can always concentrate that responsibility on other animals down the road to make them happy and safe, too, and think on the ones that passed fondly. Hope you feel better.

4. I'm sorry to hear that. My animals are sooo part of the family. In the past 3 years or so we've lost our dog, my mother-in-law's dog, 2 cats that belonged to us(8 & 16 yrs old & one stray(I think she was trying to adopt us, but she walked right in front of the car as I pulled into the garage:crying: ). One cat is at the vet right now; she's 17 & I more than half-expected to be putting her to sleep today, but the vet says she's looking much better this morning. They bring so much joy into our lives. Treasure your memories.

5. Sorry about your loss man.
    But when it's time to go, it's time to go.

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Ugh so sorry to hear about that man. My condolences. I've been there too. :(

7. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. It's great that she was able to live as long as she did. It's actually pretty amazing to hear that she lived 16 years. Was she a small breed? Long life is more common for smaller breeds.

About ten years ago, my parents had to put my Lab down because of malignant cancer. I was miserable for the longest time. She was ten years old.

Then I got a puppy, but it contracted distemper and died within a week my my getting him. It was a horrible way to go.

Now I have an eight year old dog. I've had him since he was a puppy and he slowly starting to show his age. He groans when stretching and lying down and he's getting weaker in his hindquarters. I dread when I'll have to put him down.

Are you going to get another dog?

8. Cheers guys, i know it was her time and yeah, it was a long life, its just the final realisation when it all happened, she never grew up, she always acted like a puppy, she even learnt to communicate on a certain level, instead of barking to get attention she would sneeze at you whenever she was wanting something to eat :)

And wow, that must have been horrible, im sorry to hear about your poor luck with your dogs years ago wanderer :(

We have another one, but he is getting on aswell, we got him when he was about 1 (the vet thinks) when he was a stray, and now hes round about 14 and starting to show his age aswell, had a really close call with haemolitic anemia a few years ago and developed testicual cancer at the start of this year, he hasnt been the same since the opp, and when our other dog passed, he never really lightened up, right now he's sitting shivering to himself :(

(hes the one looking at the camera, the one we lost today is the one balled up sleeping behind him)
    samjo.

9. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Is he the only one you have left? Sometimes dogs who have been raised with others can't live without that canine companionship. Maybe getting him a friend will help?

By the way, thanks for the sympathy. It's always hard to lose a friend, but my Bock is still doing well. He'll be around a while yet.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Pardon my ignorance Wanderer, but what is "distemper"?

11. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    It's afatl and contagious disease that in my dog, cause him to constantly cough and hack, throw up this slimey foamy subastance and later Poop out his own rectum. He couldn't eat and he had mucous on his eys and nose. I think it might be like a bad flu, but I iwll study up on it to get a more informed answer to post.

It is almost always fatal. We had to wait two months before the house and yard were safe enough for another dog.

12. We're going to see how he fares on his own for a while, he has his share of problems and can go into epileptic like fits, and when he does hes nolonger himself, and unless its someone or another animal that has always been about, even oldish friends and other animals he will just go for.

Thankfully he does seem to fit very much anymore.

I just had a very quick read up, seems pretty nasty infection which effects younger dogs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_distemper

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Mohawk, Be happy that your pet isnt in any discomfort!

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss, pets are indeed very special creatures.

15. tr68gt

tr68gt Acme Corporation Beta Tester

Aug 2, 2006
    Naples, Florida
    Sorry to hear about your dog. We say it's just a dog, but they're more like our children. We get so attached to them that it's really tough to lose one. I lost a puppy to distemper once, the vet said that maybe 1 in 100 will live through it once the disease is contracted. And no, it isn't pretty. One of the shots dogs get as puppies is for distemper.

16. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Sorry to hear that. My "son" is 10 and I am unable to think of him not being here to keep my sanity. I wish you and your family best wishes..

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Usually we've only had dogs as part of someone else's family (like we lived in the same house as my uncle's family, so they had a dog) or we had to give our dog up (always to a good owner whom we knew beforehand) for various reasons (like moving to a different country). Now, though, we've had our current dog for 7 years. I have no idea what I'll do when he dies. It will suck beyond words. Through those 7 years I went to 4 different schools and friends came and went depending on my personality, classes, etc. but he was always there. It's just a whole nother level of friendship with him. It is like having another brother.