Just ordered a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hawaii Islander, Aug 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I have an order in for a new Guild Starfire II bass. :)

Yes, I'll post pics when it gets here.

2. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Very nice! Can't wait to see some pics. I've never played a hollowbody bass, but I have always wanted to. Can't wait for your input on the bass.

BassUrges and Hawaii Islander like this.
  3. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    My all-time favorite bass. Ditch the crappy round-wound factory strings and put a set of flats (medium-scale) on it.

Bi-Sonic pups rule...

Hawaii Islander and nixdad like this.
  4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Love my Guild Starfire!

5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I see they have reissued the Emerald green .........tempting. I actually owned a 68' Starfire II that was factory EG and somebody stripped it down to natural, I was almost heartbroken when I looked at the label showing it had been Emerald Green, that was a somewhat rare color back in the day, the new ones don't seem to have the nice grain pattern showing through like the old ones did.

Hawaii Islander likes this.
  6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    can you post a audio clip if you have the means to do so ? I am curious how these sound. I would definitely try the flats

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  7. Hawaii Islander

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I once owned a late 60's Mozrite Celebrity hollowbody bass. It sounded great. I hope the Guild sounds and plays as well.

bordinco90 likes this.
  8. Hawaii Islander

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    The one I'm getting is a natural finish mahogany body.

9. Hawaii Islander

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I will. My playing isn't very good, but I'll post something.

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'm jealous, my friend. there's not many things nicer than playing a good hollow body bass during the sunset on a tropical island beach.
    (i think i just squirted) :oops: :nailbiting:

11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I picked up a german made Warwick star bass II hollowbody (semi) recently and I think it sounds and plays fantastic. Those 70's Guild Starfires and M85's as well as the Jet star models all sounded great, a lot of people dismissed the humbucker that replaced the Bi Sonic but I thought they sounded pretty good just in a different way then the Bi sonic, of course one was a single coil and the other wasn't.

12. Way cool. Subbed for the pr0n.

13. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very cool, looking forward to pics and your review!

14. Justin Meldel Johnson has made frequent use of the Starfire bass over the years. I believe most of Beck's Odelay album was recorded with this bass.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I keep gravitating towards one at my local SA, but I find the string spacing at the bridge to be too narrow for me, just like my old Höfner.

Hawaii Islander and 47th Street like this.
  16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I know what you mean, its a bit getting used to, its almost like a toy compared to a full scale bass. I do like the Hofner because it weighs next to nothing and still sounds good

17. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    The body is about the same size as that of an ES-335. Being used to a Mustang at the time, I thought the Starfire body was too wide at first. After playing it for a few months, I picked up the Mustang again and it REALLY felt like a toy in comparison. I actually find the narrow string spacing to be more comfortable to play. Guess it's partly a matter of what you're used to.

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Funny you should mention that comparison. I've been playing a "jazzbox" Ibanez AFB200 exclusively for the last several months for quieter restaurant duo/trio gigs for it's "acousticness" but we have a "I want it loud." outdoor full-band gig we've started rehearsing for so I decided to use my modded MIJ Mustang RI bass since the Ibby will probably feed back with the volume. When I strapped on the Mustang for the first time at rehearsal, I too was taken aback with it's small size at first but was used to it by the end of the first song. I also found the Mustang neck and string spacing to be very comfortable

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  19. Hawaii Islander

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    My beach is now a desert. I moved to Arizona last January.

pacojas and 5StringBlues like this.
  20. I've always wanted one of those, I do have an EB-2 though and really like that and it doesn't feel toy-like at all even with the short scale, the bridge is about at least 6 inches from the edge of the bass so the necks feels like a long scale bass with the reach the way it is. Nothing like a hollow body bass for those nice boomy high notes, you can play Beatles' tunes all night if you want, I put the light .096 E La Bella deep talkin flats on mine.

Hawaii Islander and Jim Carr like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021