Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just ordered a QSC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Feb 22, 2004.

1. ...and a RMX 1850HD is on the way. Though it's intended for my PA, I'm tempted to try it out on my trusty ole Sunn 2x15 (loaded with JBL 2226's) but I don't know if the sheetrock in my house can stand the assault.

There were other cheaper amps, but I went with the QSC because Bob Lee has been outstanding in his support through this forum. :bassist:

2. Nice choice for a PA, especially if running 2-ohm loads, such as multiple subs. The 1850HD is particularly well suited for low impedance loads.

I own three PLX models, and previously an MX-3000a, and am 100% satisfied with QSC.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    What makes that model better at low impedances than the other QSCs?

4. Dunno why the low impedance superiority, their brochure claimed "improved thermal characteristics" or some such wording. This would be a good question for Mr. Lee.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good choice...congrats!!! I've been very happy with my PLX24202 and also appreciate Bob Lee's presence here at Talk Bass!!!

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I think basically it is over-engineered so that it is better able to handle a 2-ohm load. I believe it is essentially a de-powered RMX-2450 (I'm sure that's oversimplifying, but is the general idea)

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    No, that's pretty much it. It's a lower-power version of the RMX 2450, so it puts out and dissipates less power but has the same fan and heat sink.

Here's an analogy: picture two cars, the same model, but with different engine options. Let's say they have the same cooling system--the same radiator and fan, and even the same coolant pump--but one car has a V8 and the other has a smaller V6. The V6 has a more ample cooling compared to its actual needs, and is therefore less likely to ever overheat, though the V8 is more powerful.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Posts like that are what make TB such a great place. How many places, other than TB, allow you to hear it "straight from the horses mouth."

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Quite a few.

-Mike

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Too bad more of the horses don't have mouths here, though! ;)

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    True. I should have added something to the effect of TB having such a large input from a large group of those responsible for the products we inquire about. Bob Lee, Ken Smith, Matt Schmill, Carey Nordstrand, etc.