Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Ordered My New Geddy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, May 22, 2005.

1. This really isn't a thread anyone needs to reply to, I'm just stoked that I orderd a new Geddy Lee tonight. If you all recall, I had a few "what bass should I buy" threads and the overwhelming consensus here at TB was the GL. So now it's ordered and all I have to do is wait a few weeks and it will be mine. Now I just have to figure out how/when to tell the wife. I'm going to catch hell fer sure but I think it will be worth it. Thanks TBers!

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd be very interested to know how it's set up when you get it. I got mine at a local shop and it was awesome right from the get-go, but I'm pretty sure they're not all like that. In fact, the same store has another one, and while it's not terrible, it's not set up nearly as well as mine was.

3. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i want one. i went to my local sam ash and they have 2 of them. both are set up so poorly and every amp in the store is a piece of sh*t, i would like to play one through my rig that was set up. im disappointed right now. like the look though and they feel real quality. i really want to give one a shot. anyone have a used one let me know.........

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    So, what colour did you pick? ;)

5. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Congrats! its an most awsome bass, and it sound awsome(atleast through an Old peavey Mark IIIV Rig :p)

6. Vics, When it arrives in around 2 to 3 weeks I'll let everyone know how well it's set up. I'm not really too worried though, I'm pretty handy with setups and modifications. Or, for 50 bucks, my local shop will set it up professionally, which I may do regardless. I've read these threads enough to be suspicious of Fender's quality control, especially since I ordered it through M123. Nothing against M123 but they're not the ones setting it up.

7. I went with the black one. I thought out of all the choices, the black looked the best!

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Odd, I thought the black one looked better, myself... 'course, just my opinion, you don't have to agree... :bag:

9. It's hard not to agree. I bet the vast majority of GL owners on this site chose the black one too. IMHO

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Cool. Seems to me there's one thing that keeps popping up on these (and other Fenders, for that matter)... neck relief. I'm wondering, if you do have to adjust it, how far you had to go to get how much relief (since it's a user pref thing), and if it was at all difficult to do.

Personally, I like just a teensy bit of relief and low action, which I find the Geddy supports nicely. I've only barely had to tweak mine once, but as a general rule, that neck has been rock solid thru three midwest seasons so far, using only a gigbag. Nice.

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, although I do have to admit the black one looks very nice, as well...

Ok, I'm going to get the airsickness bag now... :help:

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh, as a side note, I found that I did NOT have to totaly remove the neck on mine to adjust it. I loosened the strings up a bunch and then backed out the screws just enough to angle the neck up to expose the screw. Makes the job a little faster and worked fine for me. FYI.

13. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    One better... install one of these :
    [​IMG]

It's a very simple mod, and makes relief adjustment quick and easy.

You can get them here: Spokewheel Trussrod Adjustment Nut

14. Hopefully, it comes to me in good shape. I'll be curious too to see how much setup it needs which is why I may just have it done professionally since I got it for a pretty fair price.

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Dude, if all it needs is a truss tweak and a bit of string height, if anything, (most likely), I doubt it's worth taking to a shop unless you're really uncomfy with it. I've done it so many times it's like changing the oil in my car... no biggie.

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    COOL! I'm assuming you're implying these work with the Geddy's TR, and if so, I'm all over it. ... even tho I rarely need to mess with it. Thanks!

17. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Worked perfect with my Geddy neck. The threads matched perfectly. Just unscrew the stock phillips nut and screw on the spokewheel. Then route out a small channel under the neck pocket (you can use a dremel if you don't have access to a router) and cut a slot in the pickguard. It's really pretty easy work, and shouldn't take more than a 1/2 hour to accomplish the whole mod.

18. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I see we think alike: Buy now, explain later.

Might want to consider having some flowers ready when it arrives.

19. amused2KAOS

amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005

forget all of you! the black one is nowhere as cool as the black one! compared to the black one, the black one is total trash! i wouldnt be caught dead playing a black geddy lee!!!

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    It's already ordered. :) Thanks again!