1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just ordered the Darkglass Microtubes X

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dwade, Dec 14, 2018.

1. dwade

dwade

Feb 15, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    I just bit the bullet & pulled the trigger on the Darkglass X. I want the smallest possible package. I sure we bass players could pop into a store to check things out. I've been using the same OD for over 20 years & never really liked it. I don't use it much, so it wasn't really a priority tp make a switch. Suddenly, I'm on a mission I ordered the Tech 21 DUG pedal as well. I don't think I'll use it live but I'm curious about it. And I love DUG! The Darkglass X series looks to have put some thought into their designs. We'll see what happens!!

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    To me , far more interesting than you buying some new pedal is the question as to which one did the job for you for the last 20 years or so!
    Which one is it?

crguti likes this.
  3. dwade

dwade

Feb 15, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    I don't want to say........

Boss ODB-3

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks!
    There MUST be something right about the ODB-3 as I read about it quite often...
    That said; I hope you REALLY enjoy your new pedal and will report :)

5. The pedals I used years ago sound like utter garbage to get the tones I want compared to what I use now.
    I have all the recordings from them and can directly compare.
    I had the ODB-3 as well.
    Great for some tones, but for what I wanted it didn’t even get near the ballpark.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  6. dwade

dwade

Feb 15, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    What are you using these days?

7. Alpha-Omega fed into an X.

I just ordered a Damnation MBD1 but I felt it didn’t add anything that my A/O already had for my sound. The X is there pretty much to add sheen, whereas the Alpha-Omega gets my main tone. Namely the midrange frequencies.

Just before that, I used the Tech21 Oxford fed into the Alpha-Omega. Another great pairing. I have quite a few soundclips(mostly with dead strings on my Ric - that’s because I wanted to see how much clank I can bring out of dead strings before settling on a pedal)

The X is a great pedal as well. Let us know what you think. It definitely has the ability to make old strings sound better.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    zapped777, Driven Crane and dwade like this.
  8. dwade

dwade

Feb 15, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    I received the X yesterday. I've played around with it a bit & I like it enough to put on the pedal board for a real test onstage. It's noisy but that's to be expected with high gain. I'll have to really dig in & do some serious tweaking. Almost immediately, I love what it does to the low notes. It seems to affect the higher notes a lot more. Possibly too much. I'll have to be patient & see if I can find the sweet spot.

9. Please define noisy... my X7 is very quiet.

10. dwade

dwade

Feb 15, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Like amp amp cranked on 11 with no input..

TodaysTomSawyer likes this.
  11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Nothing wrong with that. that's usually the first distortion pedal most bassists buy. some like them some don't. I on the other hand had a digitech bass driver. that pedal is considerably tamed compared to the boss odb-3. I have since then retired it and now have a darkglass vintage microtubes.

About the microtubes x, I've heard how killer that pedal sounded. especially after hearing MrExcane's demo of the pedal. I was thinking of getting the microtubes x7 to go with my vmt sometime in the future.

12. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    My X7 is a bit noisy too. I still really love it. No other dirt pedal I’ve ever owned sounds as good to me, and I’ve run through a lot the past 2-3 years. I’ll have to swap it soon as I have one that needs repair, not sure if that could be some of the noise issue or not.

angelopb likes this.
  13. The X7 has really changed how I hear dirt.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.

14. I have both too. A tip about the DP-3X... if it sounds harsh in the bedroom that means its gonna sound brilliant in the mix :thumbsup:

zapped777 likes this.
  15. dwade

dwade

Feb 15, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    It wasn't my first but I have a bunch of them & since I didn't use it much, just sort of stuck with it.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  16. dwade

dwade

Feb 15, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    I plugged the DP-3X in for a second & I didn't like it. At all. I don't have room for it on either of my pedal boards anyway. I was really curious about it and wanted to give it a shot.

I do like the X & I now have 2. Nice, versatile unit that doesn't take up much real estate.

17. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I am already paired my AOU with Digitech Ricochet (-2th) and Fairfield Barbershop ME (a boost before). Yesterday i have just ordered an X7. I was thinking of Damnation MBD1, then may be later, someday... Hyper Luminal is on the wait-list.

18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I sticked with my digitech bass driver. even though I've retired this pedal, I have kept it for sentimental reasons. plus this pedal is no longer in production. which is another reason why I've kept it. I have since then been using darkglass and t.c electronics pedals after trying out a number of distortion and modulation pedals.

19. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Really?...it's noisy? I knew it was kinda bright sounding but I never knew it had noise issues. I was gonna buy that pedal sometime in the future. I guess I'll go with my other choice. the darkglass vintage deluxe.

20. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    It shouldn’t be noisier than our other pedals at comparable gain settings.
    The X circuits have significantly more gain on tap than the other Microtubes or Alpha Omega.

BurtMacklinFBI and Crystalman85 like this.