1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just picked up my first upright 3/4 today.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JesseR, Jun 15, 2014.

1. JesseR

JesseR

Jun 15, 2014
    So, I am new here and have lots of questions. I am only going to ask a few now to get me started. Does anyone have a preference to online videos, or ordering a dvd to help me learn the basics. I may take a few lessons later down the road when I have the time because I really have no music background. I am leaning more toward bluegrass music if that helps. I bought a used cremona sb-2 3/4 for a decent price and going to take it to a luthier in the next week or so and have it checked out. I picked around on it today and it sounds great for what I payed.
    Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    This is a good one to get you started on technique: http://www.lemurmusic.com/Double-Bass-Technique-w_-Jeff-Bradetich-on-DVD/productinfo/DVD167/

No, it's not bluegrass. . . . But getting the bow going will pay off dividends regardless of what genre you end up going with.

And I would recommend reconsidering getting a teacher. Even if it's only every other week, it can prevent you from developing bad habits that will be almost incurable if you start ingraining them from the beginning.

3. JesseR

JesseR

Jun 15, 2014
    I will take that into consideration. I am searching for a teacher/lessons right now.

4. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    It is very demanding and addictive beast of an musical instrument :) I'm a beginner as well and I have found discoverdoublebass.com and Zoltans Bass Lounge very helpful. Both of these you find from YouTube. Getting a real teacher is a great advice as well, I'm on that too.

edit: Chris Fitzgerald's YouTube tutorials are fantastic too, check them out.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014