Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just received the elusive Ampeg B1 Combo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mksolid, Jun 13, 2005.

1. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    It is awesome. Well compared to what ive used anyway. I previously owned a Hartke B60, which is not much I know.. but this Ampeg B1 Combo has a thunderous bottom end. I've been running it with the solo feature on (which I believe runs the tube preamp and it is just warm and shakes the room). I'm excited and playing all day like a maniac.

2. RobbieNuke

RobbieNuke

Jan 22, 2008
    Baltimore
    I've had one of these since the mid 90's; one of my main 'go to' amps for almost any gig. Be sure to check/adjust the bias (you'll need a schematic).

I've worn-out the speaker three times, finally shredded it back in September of 2012. Replaced it with a NOS driver from a SVT-12HE.

3. Jules001

Jules001

Jan 5, 2014
    I also have a B1 combo from 90' but I have some technical problems. Probably it's something like dead capacitor. I'm looking for a service schematic (diagram). Enybody can help ? Tube's are brand new.

4. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    I don't know anything about this amp. Is it the same as a B-1RE? If so I have schematics here and here.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm pretty sure it is.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Given it has a tube preamp it must be a B-1R; I almost bought one of those a few years ago, they are pretty cool amps, but a bit heavy.

Attached Files:

7. Jules001

Jules001

Jan 5, 2014
    Hi, thanks for fast replay. Like Jeff Scot said, is B1- R combo but i think it's not the same like B1-RE. I will try to compare diagrams with the parts. Someone is sure that this amps are these same ?

8. Jules001

Jules001

Jan 5, 2014
    Ok, it's not the same. I have preamp on two tubes.

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It seems that the B1RE is a 300W amp in a head version. The B2RE is the same amp with a graphic EQ. The B1 is a 150W combo amp, the B1R is the head version.

The user manuals for both a still available on the Ampeg site (support/discontinued) so Loud might have the schematic. Worth contacting them.

10. Jules001

Jules001

Jan 5, 2014
    So, I wrote to Loud but I don't receive nothing but automatic response, that the will contact me in 24 to 72 business hours. It was 6 days ago. . . so what You suggest now ? Service in poland blow me off when I was looking for a new speaker. . .

11. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    That is how they have done it for every schematic that I requested. You should get another email soon, after the automated response.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The combo was a B-1, the head sold separately was B1-R.
    Not related in any way with the B1-RE.

As far as I'm concerned, it has the best preamp Ampeg ever made.

It is a fantastic combo with only 2 issues : lack of power and meant to be used with 4 strings. The low B is really shallow with this cab.
    For a long time, I supported mine with additional active cabs because I enjoyed the tone so much.

13. Jules001

Jules001

Jan 5, 2014
    still none reply. I try write publicly on ampeg's facebook site, will see what the do.
    any suggestions ?

14. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    PM Hodgy who works at Loud and ask.

15. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    That amp is a standard rack mount size. It can be removed from the combo cab and used with another cab of your choice. You have the option to add a power amp equipped rack for a higher power unit - and put it the B1 back in the combo for lower volume gigs.

16. CostanzaWallet

CostanzaWallet

Apr 7, 2014
    Oregon
    I am looking to replace the blown (and now missing) speaker in one of these amps...I want it to have the same tone as it had before. Does anyone know how I would go about getting an exact replacement? I noticed in the specs it has a 2.5" voice coil and a 56 oz magnet, which is the same as an Eminence Delta 12LFC. Any chance that IS the speaker that was in it, rebranded as Ampeg?

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Very likely or something very similar. Eminence made/makes OEM speakers for a lot of companies.

18. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I would call Ampeg and see if they have it. I would not be shocked if it is the same part number that has been in more recent combos - like the BA112 or the B50R.

19. CostanzaWallet

CostanzaWallet

Apr 7, 2014
    Oregon
    Just heard back from Ampeg/LOUD: "The unit you have requested parts for has been a discontinued item in which parts availability have been severely limited due to the non production status of this unit."

I think I will probably go with the Delta 12LFC. There are not a lot of affordable 12", 4-ohm drivers that can handle decent wattage, with the appropriate frequency range. If anyone has any other suggestions that might be worth investigating, let me know!

20. RobbieNuke

RobbieNuke

Jan 22, 2008
    Baltimore
    Have the speaker reconed; you may or may not be able to get an exact replacement kit. You can also decide to go with an 8 Ohm speaker and then obtain another extension cabinet with an 8 Ohm speaker for a total of 4 Ohms... which the amp like to see. That is what I did.